Adaptive Scuba ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Faust

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys :

I am gathering a little info here and I am hoping someone might point me in the right direction. I am involved with a well established shop , that has been operating for odd years . Over the past few years we have taught several amputee's and they have all done very well . Collectively we really enjoyed sharing our sport with folks who never thought it could be done , so we've decide to expand on to a wider audience so to speak . We have on staff 2 adaptive scuba instructors and dive master . Access to PT and medical personnel and have begun the task of writing grants . Now with a little research we have been able to find some of what is going to be needed on the teaching and scuba side . BUT ...... thres always a but ... when it comes to ADA compliance for the actual building we have been met with " we don’t handle that " from most of the county/town inspectors . So my question to any instructor / Shop owner is , who is the overriding body for the state of Florida that controls this ? Thanks in advance .

Michael

Congratulations on taking up Adaptive SCUBA Diving Instruction and on getting 2 instructors certified by HSA (the original) or IAHD or other adaptive dive certification agency. As you know, you don't know what you don't know. and there is quite a bit to know before accepting a blind or paralyzed student. Adaptive divers are, IMHO better served by someone who has been trained to teach adaptive divers. The HSA Certified instructors at the end of their training have commented on how tough the course was and how it has made them better divers and instructors for there regular students as well.

The Federal Government is the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act rule maker as this is Federal Law. This link will give you compliance guidlines and a place to start ADA Accessibility Guidelines

It is the job of the city and county building permits and inspection to assure compliance with the ADA. The ADA Act requires the states to incorporate these standards into their building codes. Easy way get the right information from your local goverment inspectors and building permit folks is to ask them to tell you what NEW construction/substantial remodling guidlines are for comercial buildings bathrooms, and ramps etc.

Here is a link to Florida recources for you to use, some charge, some free http://www.disability-resource.com/ada.html

The HSA Instrucors and Dive Buddies manual has an accessibility inspection check list. This is not ADA law, but does give you a real good feel for what makes a facility accessible.
Doors open out
Width of doors
Ramps rise and run
padding of plumbing under the counter top in bathroom
space under the countertop for legs to go in a wheelchair while washing hands
height of countertop
space to transfer from wheelchair to toilet
grap bars
height of toilet
to name but a few.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back