Added weight pockets to my Halcyon Carbon Fiber Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The family was out of town this weekend and I took advantage of the free time with a project I have been thinking about. The project was to add weight pockets to a Halcyon Carbon Fiber Backplate I found a good deal on. I have an aluminum plate so did not really need this one but it is cool to look at. The plate weighs 1 lb and I intend to use it for travel so I will need to add about 7 lbs of dive weight for warm salt water diving. I have two Halcyon ACB waist belt pockets and can easily carry all the weight I need on the waist but prefer to spread it out on the back plate for better trim. I could just add trim pockets to my cam straps but wanted to see if I could get the weight lower on the backplate itself like the Halcyon Traveler. My solution was to add a strip of old webbing to the back plate in order to attach two weight pockets. I cut the webbing to fit, installed two stainless steel grommets and attached the strap to the plate with two ss sex screws. It seems like it should work, adds almost no weight or bulk for travel and does not interfere with the wing. Giving it a try in Cozumel next week.
View attachment 515768 View attachment 515769 View attachment 515785
I really like this. I too have the carbon plate and don’t like any of the available weight options. I’m going to give this a go.

7435C439-76F3-4F2D-BF2A-F39C38B65817.jpeg
Thanks for starting this thread. It got me thinking and I found a solution. Though not for everyone, it solved all my complaints.

While cruising solo down the reef line at LBTS this morning, it came me. I always do my best thinking once I get into the zone on the reef.

I use the standard Halcyon weight pockets on the belt, but once in the water they slide down onto the d-rings making them difficult to use. It’s also hard to clip off my SPG, flag, etc.

I thought to tie them to the plate so they won’t drop down. Then, I realized that I could just put them on the other (top) side of the plate - but using the existing harness.

So when I got back to shore, I unthreaded the waist belt, pulled it behind the plate, slipped on the weight pouch, and rethreaded. Now the pouch is between the plate and wing, but with no additional hardware.

I wouldn't stick my pockets back there on the off chance that I might want to ditch the weight in them in an emergency on the surface.

I wouldn't stick my pockets back there on the off chance that I might want to ditch the weight in them in an emergency on the surface.

I don't know specifically about those pockets, but that spot is easily reached. I have pockets there as well and I can easily open them to drop weights.

I don’t normally dive with ditchable weight anyway. I usually dive a SS plate with no lead at all. I’m only adding weight pockets to this rig for travel, and it’s only 2x3 lbs, or 6 lbs total. This is my warm water travel rig.

When I came back from living in HI for a year, I had $285 in excess baggage fees. This won’t fix that, but it’ll make the next adventure a little easier. I’ll be 6 lbs lighter right out the gate...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom