Adding weight when using a backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I built a p-weight and v-weight(for my doubles) a few weeks ago and basically used the directions above and some advice from a few experienced divers. Instead of clamping boards to the ends, I used plumber's putty to dam up the ends of the plate between the bolt holes.

I chose to drill my plate and mold a stainless steel bolt and washer into my plate weight right in the middle. I think the P-weight weighed in at a little over 5lbs and the V-weight was about 6.5lbs.

Before switching over to diving mostly doubles, I was using the XS Scuba quick release weight pockets for the belt on my harness, and a couple of cheap weight pouches for my tank bands. That weight, along with my steel plate, allowed me to carry 26lb of "weight", 10lbs of which was easily ditchable, another 10lbs of which was ditchable with a little effort, and then the 6lb plate that was along for the ride.

The problem with this configuration for me was that since I am built on a bit smaller frame and only have about a 32" waist, I ran out of room on my belt for both weight pouches, a knife, and a canister light. I am much happier now keeping the weight tucked away in my plate and between my tanks. I can always add a belt with a few extra pounds if I am wearing extra undies beneath my drysuit... Your success with my techniques, or their suitability for you or anyone else may very.

Save Diving!!!

I like this option. Thanks for the heads up

"i use a Zeagle bp/w. They have weight pockets that slide onto the belt, but are actually 'bolted' to the plate. As such they do not flop around or get in your way."

I use a Dive Rite Transplate. I use a steel tank, a steel back plate, a 6 pound STA, XS scuba weight pouches attached to my tank straps and when needed, I add the Dive Rite weight pouches to my webbing on my waist or just a weight belt for a few more pounds. All are options for you.

I agree with what was said before about not needing to ditch weights for the most part. No need if you dive a balanced rig and especially if you have redundancy in a dry suit and a dive buddy.

All that said, keep in mind, that if you really want to have weight to release for whatever reason, you don't need more than a few pounds to pop to the surface like a rocket if you are balanced. Maybe you could use some of the options I mentioned and just keep 2 or maybe 4 pounds on that belt to release. Weight belts can be a pain but are easier to deal with when they only have two pounds on them. But that's for you to decide. I just want to extend some options and personal experiences with some of those options.

I have also used the DUI weight harness mentioned above. I like it a lot! Nifty, easy to use and reliable design for those of us who dive cold waters and need extra undergarments even in our neoprene dry suits. It's a nice option for shore diving as it really balances the weight on your center and is EZ to carry about while walking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom