Adds with sound...aargh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lately ScubaBoard has featured adds with sound that come on in a few minutes and have no obvious way to mute or otherwise shut off---often you can't even see the add, just hear it.

This appears to happen if the board window is idle...if I've clicked into another window to check email or FB or just browse.

This needs to stop ASAP, as I can no longer keep a ScubaBoard window open while tinkering on the interwebs.

No, I cannot identify the specific add and report it...they're too hard to find and too annoying to do anything but kill the window!

Or Scubaboard could stop putting the ads on their site...

(But thank you Reku, I've set the plug-ins setting as you suggest.)

Hello.

ScubaBoard can't stop putting ads on the site, otherwise there wouldn't be a free site for you to use.

Any of the ads with sound should have a little blue arrow in the top right corner ("Ad Choices"). You can opt out of certain ads in most cases, or stop seeing that particular ad. Those ads with sound are not served directly from ScubaBoard, but rather from Google Ads. We don't know which ads you are seeing. The only ads placed directly with ScubaBoard are the ones you see in the top half of the page, that are usually scuba related.

I have looked for anything I could click, to no avail. Heck, most of the time I can't even see which add is playing and just have to close the folder. I have nothing against adds, and understand your point, but this is bad.

If the ad has sound, it's not a direct advertiser and will have the ad choices link on it. We do not accept ads with sound, and I block those that use sound. To accomplish this, I'd need to know the destination URL for the ad. Without that, there is nothing I can do.

I'll show my ignorance--I never get any sound anytime unless I turn my speakers up. They range from 0% to 100%. If your speakers aren't on how can you get any sound from anywhere?

Alternatively you can download a chrome extension called "mute tab" that can be used to mute the offending tab without removing ads.

If your chrome browser is up to date you shouldn't even have to download the extension, you can just right click the tab and you should see an option to mute the tab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom