Adelaide Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferris213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're heading to Adelaide soon to visit some friends and I'm thinking about getting a dive in. Can anyone offer info on shore/jetty dives? Apparently we are staying somewhere near the airport? I won't have a lot of time so somewhere close and easy to get to would be ideal...

Anyone know the expected water temps in May?

This may be a very stupid question but are there ever any encounters with great whites doing this type of diving? My wife really doesn't want me to get eaten...

Thanks for any info or advice.

Can anyone offer info on shore/jetty dives? Apparently we are staying somewhere near the airport? I won't have a lot of time so somewhere close and easy to get to would be ideal...

Close shore dives - Port Noarlunga

Close boat dives - artificial reef sites off Glenelg such as the Dredge & the Barge

Try the following dive stores which either close to where you are staying or are on the way to some of the above dive sites for more info - Adelaide Scuba. the Dive Shack & Southern Diving Centre. All have websites.

Anyone know the expected water temps in May?

Around 15 deg C - it is the transition month from summer wetsuit to winter wetsuit or drysuit. Some days, it will be warmer than 15 deg C & some days, it will be colder.

This may be a very stupid question but are there ever any encounters with great whites doing this type of diving? My wife really doesn't want me to get eaten....

The risk is low.

I am thinking about doing a 8 day Rodney fox trip at the end of May.
Was not expecting 15 C. I currently have an oldish pinnacle 7/5 mm + vest + hood.
Would you recommend additional thermal protection?
I have not dived in water below 19 C

Would you recommend additional thermal protection?

Probably YES.

Firstly, you should ask Rodney Fox about what to expect in terms of water temperature. As the Neptune Islands are more exposed to the ocean, the temperature could be a bit lower.

Secondly, it depends on the depth and number of dives. The suit that you currently have would probably be OK for at least 1 dive. A good strategy is to take off it off (fully or partially) between dives & wear warm dry clothing in order to warm up. Wearing gloves also enhances the perception of warmth. Ask Rodney Fox if there are any hire suits on board - a change of wetsuit could be a dive saver.

BTW, there is a water temperature graph on the following page - Robert's Ramblings. Scroll down to the post dated Thursday, July 7. 2005. July is a cold month!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom