Adhd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you know, ADHD has a range of behavioral manifestations. It is impossible to make a blanket statement about ADHD and diving. His psychiatrist or psychologist and you will need to evaluate his fitness to dive. Look at such areas as: can he plan his dive and dive his plan? Or will he get distracted? Can he monitor his condition and his partner's? Will he lose his partner and run out of air? Can he handle emergencies?

My son is the same age and has ADHD and can dive quite well and very safely. I have seen other people with ADHD who should never dive.

Hope this helps.
Lloyd

I would also like to add that at that age in addition to the ADHD consideration please consider your son's maturity factor to deal with the above situations. This past summer I had two ADHD brothers ages 14 & 15 in an OW class. The 15 yo was ready, took the course work seriously and applied himself. I do admit I had to keep the class snappy and rolling forward. In the water he was safe and focused. His brother OTOH was just not ready to be there, a combination of ADHD and immaturity or maybe even lack of desire. He liked playing in the water, could mimic skills upon request but could not take the safety seriously. In OW dives, I had a dedicated DM assigned to watch him, but was not able to (would not) certify him as an independent diver. I had several conversations with each parent who appreciated my frankness about their son's safety.

Maturity is a factor to be considered with ALL teens.

I thought I'd bump this one back up the chain. I'm sure there are a lot of us ADHDers out there that would like to know what others experiences are....

I first got certified in '84 (19y.o.)... it was a dream come true for me and I soaked in everything the class had to offer. I was the easy student who just did what was asked and could spout back all the info in the class. I became an instructor in '91 and still teach sporadically. In 2004 I got diagnosed with ADHD combined type (moderate). I am lucky... other than some anxiety(mild)issues and mild intermittent dysthymia I don't have any heavy co-morbidity. It truly explained my whole life too...what catharsis.

Now to my point.... I'm medicated and it's a good thing. My impulsiveness and attentiveness are vastly improved. I was in Bonaire when I was switching from Adderall to Vyvanse. I did my own "experiment". I took Adderall for a couple of days and went to the bottom of the wall (120ft.) first thing in the am. and noticed a bit of narcosis. I took the Vyvanse and did the same thing and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. The difference in Meds is Adderall is mixed amphetamine salts and quick into the brain (even though I was using extended release) but Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine that requires a conversion in the digestive tract before becoming available to the brain. It's slower in and out so it has smoother transitions (less abuseable than traditional forms too).

BTW......diving is the love of my life, you bet I wouldn't knowingly do anything to jeopardize myself or anyone else in the pursuit of ecstasy.

I was in Bonaire when I was switching from Adderall to Vyvanse. I did my own "experiment". I took Adderall for a couple of days and went to the bottom of the wall (120ft.) first thing in the am. and noticed a bit of narcosis. I took the Vyvanse and did the same thing and noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Hi Calinectes,

I live on the Chesapeake Bay -- Calinectes sapidus, yummmy.

RE your anecdotal report. Given that time and dose parameters are not indicated, during this drug transition some Adderall still may have been circulating and the Vyvanse not yet up to therapuetic levels. It's quite difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from this one time, uncontrolled "experiment."

In any event, it's super that you're getting such good response and minimal adverse reactions.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Calinectes,

I live on the Chesapeake Bay -- Calinectes sapidus, yummmy.

We're neighbors.....

But as for time and dose. I was taking 30mg. adderall xr bid. Vyvanse was 50mg/ daily. I take them 1st thing in the morning. I'm now up to 80mg/daily vyvanse. I've been diving since and still no noticeable adverse reactions. BTW... I've been told I'm a "fast" metabolizer of these meds. A single dose doesn't last as long for me as it's "supposed to".

Back to the original question of this post.... I think you guys said it all. Dive fitness and ADHD is a very case by case situation. For me the diving does 2 things.... helps me focus (time, depth, surroundings) and it calms me (unless of course it's a real adrenaline dive).....oh look a nice aggressor fleet ad over there on the left .

My son is 14 years old and diagnosed with Attention Deficit and Hyperactive disorder. He currently takes Concerta xl slow release methylphenidate to help his condition. He is also taken an interest in diving, including a try dive in Turkey last year. This was before i became a qualified diver myself and thus had no idea about the possibility of him being at risk in the water. Before looking at progressing his diving i need to find out if it is possiblefor him to dive at all. Either medicated, unmedicated or if it is just a case of no go. Any info would be off enormous help.

Make sure he always uses a reel.

I just have to add my two very honest cents to this on my own very hand-on experiences, even though I am only a beginner in diving. I have dived some - not much - and was diagnosed with ADHD AFTER being first certified AND after turning 40.

Needless to say, the condition and the symptoms vary greatly between individuals, and I was both really worried and perplexed by the situation.

I passed all the certifying requirements with flying colors (well, they are easy), except that I used a huge load of oxygen in the beginning. I think spewing trough the tank is very much linked to overt excitement caused by the condition and thus being prone to shallow overbreathing. As I have dived more, consumption has gone to normal. I understand this is quite usual with beginners, and was not worried at the time. This, however, is the point; ppl with ADHD tend to have just normal emotions and reactions except that they are multiplied in volume in comparison to average person.

I am glad to say, however, that I do not "blink" and do not get panic attacks, at least so far, and never have, in any situation above or below surface. I just get more agitated at times. Of course time will tell more; I have only had some very minor situations while diving so far, once having my mouthpiece kicked away by fellow diver and once assisting a slightly panicked diver who had lost his group and was low on oxygen back to surface. Both I handled with calm.

I'm extremely rigorous with pre-dive checklists, and insist this from my partner as well. I have never forgotten anything, and usually make two full checks because I know I might be liable to err and forget.

I always dive with the same partner, my wife. My primary concern with my condition is putting my partner at risk, and we have discussed this fully. She just happens to be a on a medication for a psychological condition as well, so the risk taken is both mutual and consensual.

Needless to say I sign the full medical release every time before taking a dip. I do not take drugs before diving even though I am on a prescription

People have commented in this thread how ADHD would affect cognitive abilities and ability to remember. I have a very high IQ, excellent memory and am able to take directions. No faults there.

Here's the other part that's mostly missing from the discussion so far, then, except from by Calinestes above:

For me diving is immersing myself in a world that is exactly the opposition of the sensory overload that keeps me sometimes fully on the pedal above the surface. It is a world of concentration, focus, directing the attention. It is a world that has just the right amount of information and way less sensory bombardment than everyday life. I find myself being able to keep focus indefinitely and easily. The deep breathing technique helps this as well, it keeps me calm, relaxed and able. In fact this is a technique that is taught to ADHD kids in cognitive behavioural training exercises to control their tantrums.

I would have to say that of all the things I have tried to this age (and there are a lot) Astanga Joga and diving are the ones that to me seem most suitable for my psyche. Both involve a focus on relaxed breathing, have a muted palette of sensory information and are primarily things where you are forced to fully focus on what you are doing just now and here.

That said, everyone is an individual, and all the decisions will have to be made on a case-by-case basis. I myself will be following my own condition very carefully and if it turns out I will not be able to do this, I will stop immediately. I do not want to put my loved ones at risk.

I've been reading these boards for over a year now. As a new diver, I feel it's best for me to learn with my eyes and ears and not my mouth (or fingers) LOL. Anyway I finally register because I thought the following may be useful to others.

From the Boy Scouts of America - Sea Base website: Medical « Florida Sea Base News

[h=2]Psychotropic Drugs[/h]Most drugs used to control anxiety, depression, OCD, ADD and ADHD are categorized as psychotropic. This category of drugs is not particularly compatible with scuba diving. (Actually these drugs do not seem to be compatible with environments involving pressure changes in general. The FAA was so concerned a few years ago that it suspended or revoked pilots licenses for most people using many of these medications.) Psychotropic drugs can cause symptoms that mimic nitrogen narcosis at shallow depths. They can also cause symptoms that mimic decompression illness (headache, joint pain, etc.) and they have a greater effect on the brain when under increased pressure. Some medications are of particular concern because they may cause seizures at depth. I am working with the Florida Sea Base medical supervisor to formulate a policy on scuba diving at FSB while using psychotropic drugs. NONE OF THESE MEDICATIONS HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR SAFETY WHILE SCUBA DIVING. If you allow your child to scuba dive while using any of these medications there is an increased risk of death. If your child’s doctor tells you any of these drugs are safe while scuba diving, ASK THEM for a report, study, journal article or ANY scientific evidence to support their claim. The manufactures and the FDA have made no such claim. Adults and children alike are nothing more than lab rats for the pharmaceutical companies when diving while using these medications.
It is imperative that FSB staff members and participants who are using psychotropic drugs discuss this in depth with their doctor until an official policy is issued by the BSA or FSB. Medications are required to be listed on the BSA Annual Health and Medical Record form. All incidents of psychotropic drug use will be reviewed by the Florida Sea Base medical supervisor for final determination on clearance to scuba dive at the Florida Sea Base.

My turn...I've just passed my 50th birthday and currently awaiting ADHD diagnosis, of which I am convinced and so are some educated others that I have it...I have been diving for 20 years and have over 700 dives...once I am diagnosed and on the meds, will I be still ok to dive?
Sorry if you ask me to read the past threads but I guess you should know my answer and it may be good to renew this thread with known comments

...editted to add, that my air consumption has always been terrible despite me even getting fit for my Divemaster and doing lots of UK dives in the past..I still need twins/doubles to do an hour underwater

Hello,

As on another topic in this forum, we just published a paper in the March issue of DHM of direct relevance to the topic of this thread. I know the abstract is not much help without the full paper. Unfortunately the full paper is embargoed for a year (only available to members of the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society and the European Undersea Baromedical Society). There are lots of relevant papers published in this journal. I will start a thread on this separately sometime soon, but divers can join SPUMS as associate members for about 86USD and get full access to the journal, and other membership benefits. For a someone very engaged in the sport it is well worth it.

Simon M

Querido.JPG

Back
Top Bottom