ADM + Armadillo Exploration Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digital_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey ADM,
After reading the ezines and then (after buying a torch from super seller curt :wink:) subscribing to ADM online, i notice that the armadillo sidemount harness is used extensively.
Do you ADM guys use the sidemount harness solely for cave-like expedition dives, or are you using it for somewhat recreational open water dives?
I'm interested in sidemounting for open water and wonder how the armadillo harness would handle faber steel 100cuft tanks and figured i'd ask at the source :D

Cheers

Hi Steve,

The Armadillo Sidemount Harness is extremely versitile. I've used it in caves for side mounting, in open water side mounting and with cam straps, with a back mount tank, as well. I also use the Armadillo as my primary KISS rebreather harness.

When I travel, if I have multiple destinations with different gear configurations, I will bring the Armadillo and it works in every environment with every configuration I have used. Personally, I don't get too wrapped up in love affairs with my gear, but if I had to choose one harness it would be the Armadillo. It's one of those things that works exactly the way it is supposed to.

I can't speak directly to your question about using steel 100s as I have never used steel 100s with my rig --maybe one of the other guys can talk about that.

Before going with the Armadillo, I tried a different sidemount system. The other system worked, but not as well as the Armadillo. I think the reason is the Armadillo was designed as a sidemount setup, not cobbled together from other components.

It is a good idea to take a side mount course, or at least have someone knowledgable about side mounting set up your tanks for you --I say that from experience.

Jeff

I have used the Armadillo with evrything from Al 80's to Steel Genesis 120's. I am to short for the 120's in my opinion (unlike Bret) but for me the steel 100's work great and as Jeff has mentioned I Also have configured this harness in many different applications. You have to make it personal. Does it have some limitations yes but then there are always ways to improve and / or get around something. Have at it

Brett Hemphill did design the Armadillo gear. A good article with pictures and a description of the setup can be found here:
ADM Online

Years back Brett started converting Zeagle BCD’s for sidemount set-up.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom