Adobe Releases New Raw Camera Plug In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkring

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just saw this on www.PhotoShopElementsUser.com web site. Article includes new RAW features and supported cameras. The Camera Raw 3.3 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS2 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Adobe Releases New Camera Raw Plug-in
Here’s some great news for Photoshop Elements users that got a new camera over the holidays. Adobe released a new version of its Camera Raw 3.3 plug-in that replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and 4.0. In addition to its raw file support, it adds support for many newer cameras, including those from Canon, Kodak, Fujifilm, Nikon D200, Olympus, Pentax, and Sony

Click on the link above to go to the article. Then look on the right side for windows or mactintosh links. You will find the download with instructions here.

I don't shoot stills, so I'm not sure what the RAW formats are for various digital cameras. If they are simply uncompressed bit streams with a header, ZSoft's Publisher's Paintbrush had this RAW option 15-20 years ago. All I had to know were the image dimensions in pixels and the header offset. I used to use it frequently to import satellite imagery into the program. It astounded me that the early versions of Photoshop apparently didn't offer that.

Hi Bill:

Camera RAW is image data straight off of the sensor without any in camera processing like most cameras that spit out Jpegs do. Problem is that everyone seems to have their own proprietary raw format. Adobe has developed a standard format called DNG or Digital Negative which they promise to support forever, but I am not aware of any camera manufacturers that have adopted it yet. Kudos to Adobe for keeping up with this morass and updating its raw converters (ACR) for Photoshop Elements and CS2. Maybe someday we will have a unified raw standard. This could have happened years ago as you suggest, but it didn't.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Tkring:

Thanks for the post and the info!

---Bob
It is my pleasure. My camera doesn't have RAW but I know that is important to many of our members. I hope that this can help someone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom