Adv Nitrox vs Extended Range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am interested in exceeding ndl mostly within recreational depths. I realize that will not be done with a single AL80. I would, however, like to see more of the Oriskany.

I do lots of dives as you describe - recreational depths (<130ft/40m) but for very extended bottom times, with decompression. I use nitrox as back-gas in sidemount/doubles, with a smaller stage 80-100% to accelerate deco. It gives me very long dives - perfect for extensive penetrations.

The big decision is whether you want to make use of helium to reduce narcosis at those depths. It's a good option to have, especially if you're prone to narcosis, diving in severe conditions and/or doing overhead environment dives (wreck penetrations). Many technical divers will prefer a reduced END (equivalent narcotic depth) for penetrations below 30m/100ft. Some agencies (such as GUE) recommend (mandate?) it for ALL dives below that depth. Helium is an expensive addition to dive cost however - so budget is an issue.

Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures or Normoxic Trimix.

For the OP: It's 'wake up and smell the coffee time'.... tech is very expensive and demands significant commitment in terms of training, time and expenditure. If $120 is a lot of money... well, that's a half-fill of Trimix for a single dive :wink:

Thanks I am looking into all of these options. The courses are pretty dang expensive. 120 for the book and 399 for the tuition. That includes all dives and gas etc... but still pricey so I want to make sure I take the right one.

"I'm getting into tech and/or trimix while keeping an eye on my budget" said no one ever.

:d

Thanks I am looking into all of these options. The courses are pretty dang expensive. 120 for the book and 399 for the tuition. That includes all dives and gas etc... but still pricey so I want to make sure I take the right one.

"I'm getting into tech and/or trimix while keeping an eye on my budget" said no one ever.

:d

Ha ha ha

I am interested in exceeding ndl mostly within recreational depths

Nitrox will give you longer bottom times, mostly in 20-30m depths. Advanced nitrox is about using richer mixes, which have shallower MODs - usually used as deco gas/es.

If you want to "exceed NDL" i.e. go into decompression, you should do Decompression Procedures which is often, as mentioned, done in conjunction with AN. Doing AN on it's own won't achieve your goal.

You should talk to the SSI instructor

I am interested in exceeding ndl mostly within recreational depths

Nitrox will give you longer bottom times, mostly in 20-30m depths. Advanced nitrox is about using richer mixes, which have shallower MODs - usually used as deco gas/es.

If you want to "exceed NDL" i.e. go into decompression, you should do Decompression Procedures which is often, as mentioned, done in conjunction with AN. Doing AN on it's own won't achieve your goal.

You should talk to the SSI instructor

Thanks, that is what I'm looking for. I have talked to the instructor. I see him several times a week. I wanted to get opinions from those that know these 2 specific SSI courses. Your response helped Thanks!

Extended range is more of a deep air/narcosis management course. The core skills are in the AN/DP module.

And cost? You really can't even factor it into the equation, unfortunately. This stuff is not cheap.

I have an SSI Extended Range Cert. We combined the pertinent AN material. I'm enrolled in the Deco Procedures course next. The limitation placed on the back of my card reads like this;

"LIMITS:
Depth: 45m/150ft
Gas: Up to 100% o2"

"Qualified for Staged Deco Dives with Hyperoxic Gases and Stops of less than 20 minutes per Dive"

This course would get you where you needed to go I suppose, however I'm not so sure I'd undertake this depth/time combination in a single. I'm certain others would and could do it safely, I just elected not to. I took on doubles and a drysuit in this course.

For me, Extended Range is doing just that. It's extending my range at depths I may have already been comfortably making shorter dives to. Using Nitrox and Deco gas, the longer 100-140ft dives come more safely in to my range. I'm going to continue training however, this course humbled me a bit, I did not walk away feeling like I was entirely comfortable to undertake deco dives routinely without much more time in the water and more education.

As for costs, honestly, without exaggeration, I spent thousands of dollars. My recreational gear was inadequate and I needed to upgrade and purchase new gear from scratch. It is a consideration. Best of luck.

I have an SSI Extended Range Cert.
"LIMITS:
Depth: 45m/150ft
Gas: Up to 100% o2"

I'm not surprised people get confused by the plethora of "tech" courses around these days.

TDI extended range is good to 180 feet and is done AFTER Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures (If it's done at all as most will do normoxic Trimix instead)

I'm not surprised people get confused by the plethora of "tech" courses around these days.

TDI extended range is good to 180 feet and is done AFTER Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures (If it's done at all as most will do normoxic Trimix instead)

Ok, fair enough, I was familiar with the goals of this course as outlined and described on the back of the card. Additionally, I intended to continue training beyond the SSI ER course so the particular limitations were not terribly important. Most of my limitations are personal anyway, what's outlined on my C-card is largely immaterial. I tell my instructor what I'd like to do and where I feel my skill is. I allow him to design the curriculum to meet my needs after he's determined my level of competency to proceed.

At this particular shop, courses are available from SSI, TDI, and NACD. It can be an odd confusing mix of overlapping agencies and requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom