• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Advanced Ice Diver?

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by Erich S, Aug 23, 2020.

1. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    A good read is Cousteau's diving expeditions under the Artic ice. No lines, 100FSW and current. We had to keep an eye on the hole at all times. Not a direct quote but along those lines. Big balls.

rjack321 likes this.
  2. Erich S

Erich S Barracuda

Rescue makes sense. I wonder if that’s in the current course of Advanced Ice speciality that PADI now has?

3. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Zombie diver ??? WHAAAAAT ??!!

AfterDark likes this.
  4. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'm in.

Let me know.

5. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yeah, it's all for fun: Welcome

looking for fur something...

Edit: Found it.

I ran into a pack of them at a quarry. Amusing people, quite pleasant. Best I could find:

rick00001967 likes this.
  6. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    i dont belive there is a padi adv ice diver , unless its an instructor authored course

7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I also do not think there is a PADI Advanced ice Diver specialty. There may be an instructor-authored "Distinctive Specialty" that PADI has blessed as meeting standards and safe to teach and dive, and has agreed (for a fee) to issue cert cards with PADI's name on them. But it is not a PADI Specialty....it is an instructor specialty that PADI has OK'ed.

I also do not believe there are 15,000 distinctive specialties, as one earlier poster said. Of all the instructors I've met all over the world, and in all the shops I've been in, I've only run across maybe half a dozen distinctive specialties. I'd guess a number like 500 or 1000 is more likely as an outside guess.

There is an even more confusing middle-ground; that is what PADI calls "standardized distinctive specialties" like O2 Provider, that PADI instructors can agree to teach if they use the standardized training materials. So given that there are lots of instructors who are accredited to teach things like O2 Provider and some others like Zombie Diver, there may be 15,000 distinctive instructors, but NOT of 15,000 different distinctive specialties.

swimlikethefish likes this.