Advanced Open Water Course Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, so my son and I are interested in getting our AOW cert this year (currently we are both OW certified). We plan a couple of trips to the FL keys (we live in Orlando) this summer, and want to ensure that we can do at least one external wreck dive. I hear that some boat operators won't even let you on the boat for an approx 80'-100' dive, without an AOW cert. Fair enough, and therefore our interest in the AOW certification.
My question is associated with costs. In looking around the internet, and making a couple of LDS calls, I find ranges from $139 to $350 per person :banghead:, among the LDS's. Unfortunately for me, the LDS I would prefer, primarily because it is where my son was certified, and so, we are at least familiar with them, is the $350 place. I saw their price on the internet, and have not spoken to them yet about this. Since this will be "times two" for my son and I (BTW he is 16, so he has no $$$), I need to really key in on the costs. However, and without question, quality instruction is of course also critical for me.
All that being said, I would appreciate some thoughts concerning what should be considered reasonable cost per person, for good quality AOW instruction/certification, in the Central Florida region.

I don;t know about Florida myself but contact Walter here on the board. I charge 175 for AOW and that includes 8 hours of classroom covering gas management, deco procedures, deep diving techniques, night/low vis, search and recovery, wreck-NO PENETRATION!-, and UW Navigation. I also have an advanced skills dive and a buddy skills and assist. Those are the only dives I offer in mine. Stuff like boat diving should have been covered in your OW course. Be aware that any AOW course that does not cover good gas management in some kind of depth will not prepare you for wreck dives in the keys.

It will also not prepare you to go out and immediately dive to the well deck on the Grove or the deck of the Duane if the conditions are less than optimal. You should get a number of dives in to increasing depths over time to prepare for these dives. Currents can change quickly, conditions deteriorate in minutes, and if you are not ready could cause serious issues. I love the keys wrecks and wish I could get down there this year but it looks like that will not be happening. Have a number of dives on the Spiegel and the Duane and want to do the Vandenberg. I;d also hope the AOW course would include a bag shoot if you plan on doing these dives.

My price does not include gear, or air. the student is responsible for those items. I can arrange it but if you are ready to do advanced dives you should be ready for your own equipment.

Take the $139. At least you'll get five dives out of it. To me AOW is really a waste of time except for what you stated, that some operators won't take you to the wrecks or deep reefs without the AOW. Really silly in my opinion. But they are in business to sell gear and dive certs, so I understand. I had to get the cert to dive the Oriskany otherwise I wouldn't have it. I paid $175. Also, it is a mandatory stepping stone to other certs you might be interested in getting. Another thing, about those 80-100 foot reef dives? Not near as pretty as the shallow reefs. You just sink and clear a couple minutes longer and use up your gas quicker. Diving wrecks is another thing altogether. Wish they'd sink them in shallower water so we could stay on them longer with one tank.

I paid $200 for mine plus the book for the PADI AOW. While I had a great time with the people I dove with, it was a waste as I really did not learn anything of value that I could not have picked up on as I got to be a better diver. We did the knowledge reviews before the dives (which I did on my own time) and then did 5 supervised dives. I only got the cert so I could dive the wrecks in the Keys.

I agree with Garrobo and go for the cheapest cert possible to get the card so you can do the dives. Just be smart about it. If your 16 yo cant handle the responsibility to do such a dive, then dont do the dives.

I went through Scuba School in Ft. Lauderdale, is was 275 and included everything: Two boat trips (four dives), one beach dive, PIC card, Tanks and weights. The instructors (Cindy and Ken) were very knowledgeable, extremely helpful, and all around good people. They took the extra time my brother needed (serious equalization problems) and we did very well. Since then, we've gone back to them for most of our training - Nitrox, Deep Diver, Wreck diver, Drift diver, U/W Photo and coming up in June, our rescue diver.

Although they might not be the cheapest shop on the block, they have trained us well, treated us like family and are solid instructors. We will clearly be returning to them.

Hope you find this helpful.

I hear that some boat operators won't even let you on the boat for an approx 80'-100' dive, without an AOW cert.

From my experiences and from what I have read on this board, that's the exception not the rule.

Most Dive Ops don't care what sort of certification you've got, they'll take you right down to 100 feet or more, unless you've got a problem with it.

I'm trying to remember which of the qualifying AOW dives I did was the toughest, Was it the 'boat dive', the 'drift dive', the 'deep dive', the "are you narc'ed' dive, or what.

From my experiences and from what I have read on this board, that's the exception not the rule.

Most Dive Ops don't care what sort of certification you've got, they'll take you right down to 100 feet or more, unless you've got a problem with it.

Not in the keys. All of the reputable ops require AOW or proof of recent deep experience. Or they will require you to hire a DM ( read instructor as most all the DM's are instructors). It also depends on the AOW course you take. The ones that are tours or "tastes" of the dives or include things like boat or fish ID for the elective dives are pretty much worthless. It;s why I do not offer that kind of class. For example how many AOW classes can you fail? Mine you can. Not perform to my standards- no card. Not have required skills to start the class? Get them or no class. Disregard safety protocols? One time may be an oversight that will get you a good talking to depending on the severity. Do it twice and you're out. No card, no refund, no retaking the class.

I find ranges from $139 to $350 per person :banghead:, among the LDS's. Unfortunately for me, the LDS I would prefer, primarily because it is where my son was certified, and so, we are at least familiar with them, is the $350 place.

Guess you need to consider how much gas, equipment, books or video, instructor time is included in each price. If your comfortable paying $6 per hour after expenses for your instructors time go for the $139.

Remember there'll be 2 of you--I'd try to 'cut a deal with someone'...also remember, you'll get more out of diving by making (the) dives ie post AOW....After all, you're possibly just looking for a 'AOW ticket' to get on a boat, right??....

I can tell you this, when I took my advance in '86, I got a lot more out of diving after the AOW class ie making dives by myself(with a buddy of course)--nothing like 'on the job training'......

Sounds like you have the perfect opportunity to get some experience ie you & your son diving together...That's how I did it back in '85 & '86--me & my 14 yo dive-buddy-daughter(occasionally,my new-diving wife was my buddy---cuz she was a lot harder to get in the dark, black water of Toledo Bend than my daughter)......

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom