• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Advanced Wreck with John Chatterton (in 2015)

Discussion in 'Wreck Diving' started by tmassey, Dec 30, 2019.

1. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'll give my opinion on that question too... I took the Advanced Wreck/AN/Deco class last Spring and the Tri Mix class the following week

If you want to look at things from a different angle, not saying follow everything you witness but just observe them, soak it in, take the class. If you want to act like a five year old kid on your first playground, take the class.

With all the negatives said here and there, I really strongly believe one of the biggest benefits was philosophical in that large aspects of diving were discussed and dissected - almost never was it stated this way or no way, a lot of why's though which lead to great discussions about the good and bad of something in particular situations.

I'd take all three classes as it gives to five days and ten dives to just watch, listen and dive - I would take the class again - it was that much fun.

For me, it was the best class I've ever taken and it certainly will effect the way I teach classes.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. In2theabyss

In2theabyss ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Thank you for the great review...I also hope to get into one of JC's advanced classes one day soon

3. KentB

KentB Barracuda

I’m going to assume that overhead environments of cave or wrecks are Very similar skills with protocols being the major difference apart from obviously penetration depth.
    I feel my wreck course will help a lot when I get into cave diving in the next couple years

4. Andy in Gap

Andy in Gap Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks for the write up. I'm taking AN/DP and Advanced Wreck with John in April 2020, working on course material now. Its interesting to see the contrast between different agencies and different instructors. I took Intro to Tech with UTD. Great skills training but very team focused and strict with equipment configurations. Most of my wreck diving is off NJ and John is the guy I want to learn from. Its a different mindset and we have different goals than diving wrecks in other places. Pragmatism and self-reliance are the rules up here.

CAPTAIN SINBAD likes this.
  5. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

Think about taking a gas blender class with Alec while doing those classes, the math is simple enough learning how to top off tanks. You'll see them doing it on the boat about every dive.

I did blender and advanced blender and ended up filing all the tanks for classes - for me it just gained a boatload of experience that I couldn't get at home.

Andy in Gap likes this.
  6. tmassey

tmassey Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999