"advertising" responses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've noticed more commercial operators are responding to questions in the regional forums with "information" that also includes "check out my website", or has the website link in the signature. Other operators are able to participate without pushing their business directly, but some have not found out how to respond to a question without thinking "oh look, another customer I can hawk my stuff to".

I find it on the tacky side, and I think it ruins the (relatively) non-biased flow of information that usually takes place.

Am I the only one who's noticed this?

personally (as a SBer and not a mod) i have found SB'ers have near perfect BS detectors and the commercial operators that act in the way you describe usually suffer because of it

but if you find a post that is obvious advertising or spam dont hesitate to hit the report button

but, there are also alot of commercial ops here that contribute alot to SB and by their actions i think they are welcomed by members and profit as a result...... pity not all dive ops learn from their example

cheers

I sometimes respond to thread by providing a link to my website, but only under a couple of situations...............

someone ask a "where can I get this" question.
someone asks a question that is best answered by a page on my website.

As for the website address being in the signature, I honestly don't know why that would bother anyone. You don't have to click any links.

If you want a totally non-commerical board, then my guess is that this board would not be it. There are a considerable number of commercial sponsors here. It it natural that they would respond when asked the correct questions.

Phil Ellis

As for the website address being in the signature, I honestly don't know why that would bother anyone. You don't have to click any links.
I prefer to see the links there in the signature. Any potential bias or conflict is right there in the open.

To be clear, I'm not talking about just a link in the sig. For example, someone posts looking for recommendations on dive ops in xxx location. And 5 minutes later, joe operator is replying advertising his services, telling them to click here for more info.

There's a ton of commercial operators of every type that make this a great board, but it seems that there are a few that just lurk waiting to pounce on a potential customer.

I sometimes respond to thread by providing a link to my website, but only under a couple of situations...............

someone ask a "where can I get this" question.
someone asks a question that is best answered by a page on my website.

If you want a totally non-commerical board, then my guess is that this board would not be it. There are a considerable number of commercial sponsors here. It it natural that they would respond when asked the correct questions.

Phil Ellis
I don't see any problem. If I asked "where can I get/find (whatever) and a dozen providers posted "I have/can that," it'd be great. And please do keep your link in your Sig.
I prefer to see the links there in the signature. Any potential bias or conflict is right there in the open.
Yep!
To be clear, I'm not talking about just a link in the sig. For example, someone posts looking for recommendations on dive ops in xxx location. And 5 minutes later, joe operator is replying advertising his services, telling them to click here for more info.

There's a ton of commercial operators of every type that make this a great board, but it seems that there are a few that just lurk waiting to pounce on a potential customer.
I like it when they do. If anyone wants to post a problem they had with them, it should be easy to do so with the anonymity here.

Now, if SB were to adopt preferred providers, then I'd be board shopping...!! :11:

I don't see any problem. If I asked "where can I get/find (whatever) and a dozen providers posted "I have/can that," it'd be great. And please do keep your link in your Sig.

Yep!

I like it when they do. If anyone wants to post a problem they had with them, it should be easy to do so with the anonymity here.

Now, if SB were to adopt preferred providers, then I'd be board shopping...!! :11:

Maybe it's just me, but I think that recommendations should come from anyone BUT the dive operator...

Maybe it's just me, but I think that recommendations should come from anyone BUT the dive operator...
There is an Ignore feature on SB...

well in fairness, some areas need a dive op to comment as if they didnt alot of SB'er will be left unanswered

eg; andrew jones in the aussie forum... he does an AMAZING job answering grb/queensland questions but he is in the business also

i have always found his advice fair and balanced and he's contributions add alot to the the aussie section.

there use to be a aussie that flooded that forum with their own message all the time.... due to the underwhelming response (theres that SB BS detector i was talking aboot) that poster no longer comes here

just my 2c, which is up to 4c now......

I have found many Dive OP's that will suggest other Dive OP's just down the road. Most that post are just trying to give the best advice they can to the person asking the question. One person is not going to make a Dive Company rich but if they give good advice that person will always remember where they heard it from and know that they can count on good advice if they ever need it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom