Advertizing Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to ask fellow dive pros what they do for advertising? Do you have a budget you spend? What are you targeting for demographics? What forms of advertising are you using ( traditional print, online, google ad words. If you do not mind sharing your marketing budget as a percentage of sales?

I would like to ask fellow dive pros what they do for advertising? Do you have a budget you spend? What are you targeting for demographics? What forms of advertising are you using ( traditional print, online, google ad words. If you do not mind sharing your marketing budget as a percentage of sales?

Determining/measuring marketing budget "as a percent of sales" is a dead concept in most circles. I've always hated it, if only because it's based on the tacit assumption that "sales causes marketing spend" which is obviously bass ackwards.

Further it's a largely irrelevant comparator between any two businesses unless everything else is exactly the same. For example a newly opened shop will likely spend a far higher "percent of sales" than an existing store; they will spend more money on an absolute basis, and will have far lower sales right off the bat.

I understand that there are a lot of varaibales between new vs established business, compitetion etc. I was not suggesting that if you increased sales you needed to increase your marketing.

However you need somewhere to start and you need to budget for customer acquisition.

I am more interested in what avenues have been successful for you and a realistic starting place.

I am more interested in what avenues have been successful for you and a realistic starting place.

Objectives > Strategy > Audience > Tactics > Budget

I understand that there are a lot of varaibales between new vs established business, compitetion etc. I was not suggesting that if you increased sales you needed to increase your marketing.

However you need somewhere to start and you need to budget for customer acquisition.

I know this is old, sorry for my late reply, but as an AdWords professional, most of the stores I manage adwords accounts for the budget does vary depending on locality (what other people in the area are doing for adwords) and such.

But in general, I recommend a minimum of $10 a day on AdWords, and $5 a day on Facebook (FB has a $5 minimum now), and for most brick and mortar stores, I don't see the need to be spending more than $20 / day on adwords. There are tools in the adwords console to help analyze the spend and if you actually are getting the right coverage, or need to increase budget for more visibility.

Additionally, it's not a bad idea to consider ScubaBoard advertising. ScubaBoard's CPM prices are comparable to, if not better than a highly targeted display campaign on AdWords. I see that all the time.

This generalization does not apply for e-tailers. - Without getting too into it. E-Commerce strategies are different based on conversion value, and the bidding strategies can vary depending on ROI remaining positive based on tracking of conversions and dollar spends on an online store.

I see many "do it yourselfers" on Adwords making similar (to each other) choices that can be costly for their budget and effect the outcome negatively for them. The most important thing to look for in your adwords performance is to monitor your keyword performance, and keep an eye on negative keywords.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom