Advice...first trip to Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading to Australia at the end of February and will be there for almost 3 weeks. We are both experienced divers bringing our own gear. I love wrecks and big animals. My husband has no interest in a liveaboard. Right now, we are planning on flying to Sydney, Cairns, and Alice Springs. I am just wondering if there is any recommendations for dive sites and any advice you can give us.

So many good spots to dive in all of those places (apat from Alice Springs LOL!). I will just cover Cairns as that's where I am based. If you don't want over night boats then there are a lot of decent day trips and I would look at Tusa as probably the pick if you are experienced. Great sites and crew with a 3 dives for the price of 2 at the moment.

If you want wrecks then the Yongala out of Ayr,would be one of the picks on the east Coast (there is also HMS Brisbane further south which I am sure others will post about, but again out of your schedule)

The Yongala is a 'must see' if you are on the east coat but its a long way from Cairns so may not be practical given your schedule.

Sydney wise there is a nice wreck about an hour's drive north of Sydney the Ex-HMAS Adelaide in Terrigal. If you prepared to travel further South West Rocks is an awesome site to see the Grey Nurse Sharks in large numbers and have some fun diving through the cave at the same time (my personal favorite).

Lots of amazing local dive sites in Sydney for example off Long Reef you may well see the Grey Nurse Sharks but if your after guaranteed wrecks and large marine life the 2 above would be my pick in NSW.

well you will have no problem diving in Sydney, plenty of fantastic shore and boat dives, as for wrecks there are a few but a 1.5hr trip North of Sydney is the HMS Adelaide which sits in around 30m is great, purposely sunk for recreational divers Ex-HMAS Adelaide - Department of Industry - Lands
shore dives anywhere from Cronulla to Shelly Beach Manly which is a great aquatic reserve
plenty of good dive operators,

The Yongala is not to be missed. You can fly into Townsville and then take a bus down to Ayr. The dive shop will come get you from the bus stop and will also drop you off when you are ready to leave. There aren't really great accommodations near the dive shop so you can stay above it - either a private room (one) or bunk style (6 beds).

After the Yongala, I took a bus up to Cairns and then went out on a liveaboard with Spirit of Freedom. It was good. But might be tough if your hubby doesn't want to go on one.

Last edited:
Hire a car and drive from Sydney to Cairns. This will allow you to cover some Sydney, Ex HMAS Adelaide, South West Rocks, Solitary Islands off Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Ex HMAS Brisbane off Maloolaba, Wolf Rock, SS Yongala and then Cairns for boat trips out to the reefs.

This will cover a few wrecks, multiple options for guaranteed Grey Nurse Sharks, turtles and rays.

well you will have no problem diving in Sydney, plenty of fantastic shore and boat dives, as for wrecks there are a few but a 1.5hr trip North of Sydney is the HMS Adelaide which sits in around 30m is great, purposely sunk for recreational divers Ex-HMAS Adelaide - Department of Industry - Lands
shore dives anywhere from Cronulla to Shelly Beach Manly which is a great aquatic reserve
plenty of good dive operators,

Where were the fish?

This is my kind of wreck diving:

I agree the Yongala is a mind blowing dive, but can be very weather dependant. I had 3 trips to Townsville before finally getting on to the site via a Mike Ball live aboard. I never tried the dive shop at Ayr tnough

I am not familiar with Sydney at all, but Michael McFadyen's web site has a summary of wreck site around Sydney.
Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

The trick would be finding a charter operator going to any of those sites, at the time you are in Sydney. Maybe google Sydney dive charter and make contact.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Hope you enjoy the trip and get some good diving

I agree the Yongala is a mind blowing dive, but can be very weather dependant. I had 3 trips to Townsville before finally getting on to the site via a Mike Ball live aboard. I never tried the dive shop at Ayr tnough

@WetPup recommended I avoid the Townsville option when I was there for that reason. It's a long boat ride and is much more susceptible to cancellation due to weather and such vs the one in Ayr because of the long crossing. I don't doubt they're a good dive shop though!

Yongala is high on my bucket list for wreck diving in Australia, after Minke whale diving with Spoilsport. :)

I'm not fond of wreck diving in a new wreck, going in / out of rusty empty chambers, risking entanglement, getting cut from rusty walls, blinded by the silt mucked up by newbies swimming in / out of the empty chambers in front of you.

Yongala is different. It's an over 100-year old wreck full of lifes (coral, fish, etc.). It is probably the best wreck in the world to dive in. So, while you are in Australia, take advantage of diving it, if possible. Just check out this video:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom