Advice for 1st trip to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaman33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
My wife, 4 yr old daughter, and myself are heading to the Big Island and Maui for 7 days each in April. This will be our first trip to Hawaii and I need advice. I am not sure who to use as a dive shop in either location. We will probably be staying in or near the Hilton Waikoloa for some time and the Outrigger Keauhou - unless someone has other suggestions. I do not want to drive to far to the dive shops as i will be leaving my family while I am out diving and don't want to spend the whole day traveling. Also, I am a huge Shark and Manta freak. Any special dives to do? Any good shore dives?

Sorry for so many questions, I am just want to do this right the first time.

Thanks in advance.

During your time at the Outrigger Keauhou, I would suggest Jack's Diving Locker. They offer a 2-tank morning dive each day as well as the manta dive five nights a week. There are some shops up north for when you stay at the Hilton. Perhaps someone more familiar with shops in that area can advise you. Shore diving is very good. Puako when you are up north and Place of Refuge when you are staying in Keauhou. (Of course there are many more and it always depends on sea conditions!) Do you have a sitter for your 4 yr-old when you are on boat dives?

Thanks Cuddlefish.
No we don't have a sitter. Most likely my wife will stay at the resort while I am diving, which is the reason I probably will not do as many dives. As far as shore diving is concerned, can you just rent tanks and go out, or do you need a guide?
Thanks

No guide required, but if you want one on Maui-go out with ShakaDoug. You might want to consider looking for a condo (VRBO.com is a great resource). You get a lot more bang for your buck than staying in a resort. Don't miss the manta ray night dive on the Big Island.

If you do stay at the Hilton be sure and get off the grounds to see the rest of the island. The Hilton is very beautiful-but in a not real Hawaii-Disneyland way. Makes me sad to think people come to Hawaii and never see the real thing.

If you do stay at the Hilton be sure and get off the grounds to see the rest of the island. The Hilton is very beautiful-but in a not real Hawaii-Disneyland way. Makes me sad to think people come to Hawaii and never see the real thing.

I agree 100%. We are mainly staying there for my 4yr old. She hates the ocean and loves pools. Don't ask!!
Thanks for all the info.

The Manta Ray night dive is a must! I have done it twice, first time with 7 Mantas, second time with 14!!!!! Fabulous!

I also love the Blackwater Night Dive...not for the faint of heart, but I have done it five times! Tell Matthew I sent you:)

The Manta Ray night dive is a must! I have done it twice, first time with 7 Mantas, second time with 14!!!!! Fabulous!

I also love the Blackwater Night Dive...not for the faint of heart, but I have done it five times! Tell Matthew I sent you:)

With whom did you do the manta dives with? I am so excited to do it!

Hello, I do agree with the Manta Night Dive, it is the most amazing dive, we used Kona Honu Divers for our dives, they were great!!, could not have been more perfect, Enjoy the diving in Hawaii when you go, we are already booked for May of next year for Kona again :)

I use Jack's when in Kona. Last time we were there the crew was great one day but horrible the next. I let the shop know and they comped some tanks for shore diving as an apology-I would give them another chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom