Advice for a (kinda) experienced diver going to Lembeh with a new camera and gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travlbum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there! I'm not new to diving, but I've just purchased a full kit. I bought a reg (MK25/A700) for my last dive trip, and a camera (TG4) the other day. Took the camera to Pattaya for 3 dives to get it wet and play around. Going to Lembeh next week and have added fins (Eddy) and a BCD (Hydros Pro).

I'm very excited for Lembeh. I've done a bit of muck diving and love it. Tiny little critters are my absolute favorite, and I had a lot of fun playing with the camera and getting really close in macro shots.

I'll be diving with TwoFish for 5 days and have reserved 15L nitrox tanks for every dive.

This will be my first time flying with this much gear. There's a chance I can get it all carryon - I can easily fit all my non-dive gear under the seat with room to spare. Any tips, tricks, and things to avoid when flying with gear on ****** budget airlines?

Advice specific to Lembeh - dive sites to hit, places to avoid, etc?

Finally, any general camera pointers?

Thanks guys!

Advice specific to Lembeh: just take the advice of the dive resort. The sites to hit and avoid depends entirely on current, storm activity (which can affect viz), number of people already diving on the site when you arrive, etc. The resorts have been doing this for a few years and know what they're doing :)

I put my regs in a laptop bag so that they don't get counted in carryon baggage or weight. Laptop goes in my "handbag".
I think you would struggle to get fins, bc etc in carryon but good luck!

This will be my first time flying with this much gear. There's a chance I can get it all carryon - I can easily fit all my non-dive gear under the seat with room to spare. Any tips, tricks, and things to avoid when flying with gear on ****** budget airlines
Some airlines are pretty straight on WEIGHT. So check with your airline first before packing.

Some airlines will sell you "discounted" excessive luggage on line. So do it instead of just turn up at the check-in counter.

Your in for a treat.
If you have any special critters you want to see tell your guide and they will do their best to find it for you.
2fish will show you a instructional video on how to dive muck so you don't kick up the sand. Do everyone a favor and use their techniques, I have a pet peeve about other divers kicking up sand, I don't travel halfway across the world to spend my time taking back scatter out of my photos. I've been known to curse other divers out for kicking up sand. Good thing it's underwater cause they wouldn't be happy to actually be able to hear me if I was topside.

Make sure you know your camera well, nothing worse than getting a bunch of so so photos when you know you can do better. And make sure you check your photos on your laptop every day, they can look great on your camera but on your laptop you will truly know if you like them.

Last be prepared to suffer from a incurable condition called Lembehitis, you might find yourself with an addiction that you need to go back to Lembeh again and again.

Your in for a treat.
If you have any special critters you want to see tell your guide and they will do their best to find it for you.
2fish will show you a instructional video on how to dive muck so you don't kick up the sand. Do everyone a favor and use their techniques, I have a pet peeve about other divers kicking up sand, I don't travel halfway across the world to spend my time taking back scatter out of my photos. I've been known to curse other divers out for kicking up sand. Good thing it's underwater cause they wouldn't be happy to actually be able to hear me if I was topside..

+1 re kicking up sand.

Recall one morning at Lembeh on one of the shallower sites diving with a guide and another diver. We were marveling at the amazing vis - 60 + feet. 15 min later you could barely see 10 feet there was so much crap in the water. Another group had entered the water nearby and found something. A peacock mantis shrimp with eggs. They waved us over to share their find - took one look and didn't even try to take a pic - too much silt. The four of them had stirred up so much sand that the cloud had taken over most of the site. Don't be those guys. Have to say I was also cursing underwater that day as was my buddy.

You will want to have a muckstick....although I would guess most resorts will sell you or let you borrow one for the week. Pretty much required if you want to get close to bottom-dwelling critters for pics without stirring up the bottom. No matter how good your buoyancy is, if you are operating a camera within a few inches of the bottom eventually you will touch down and stir up silt. Best way to avoid this in addition to good buoyancy skills, diving fins up, etc. is a muck stick - keeps you more stable while taking pics and helps avoid the silt storm :)

I am the same as dirtfarmer when it comes to people kicking up silt....it drives me crazy, particularly when there is no self awareness. We had a couple on our boat in Lembeh last year that were priceless....the wife was the biggest critter hog I've ever seen underwater. The husband....we affectionately nicknamed him the nuclear bomb.....huge flutter kicks and resulting mushroom silt clouds. We spoke to the DM who tried to counsel them, but they wouldn't acknowledge either issue. :-(

Last edited:
The guys at TwoFish are great! If Leo is still there, request him as your divemaster...eagle eyes! But they're all good :)

Yeah... don't forget about diving and the divers around you. The camera and new pics are not more important than the experience of diving, and certainly not more important than risking injury.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom