• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

advice for a n00b - GoPro vs Sony Action camera?

Discussion in 'GoPro Video' started by tep, Apr 14, 2019.

1. tep

tep ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Hope this isn't too basic a question.

For a first time underwater video person, which would you recommend? A GoPro Hero or a Sony Action camera?

I don't want National Geographic or award winning shots, I just want to share what it's like diving, with friends a family. The video equivalent of "vacation snaps" with a (good) point and shoot.

My dilemma is that on a recent trip to Kona, *everyone* was getting great video using not much more than a GoPro in a housing and a handle. I saw pretty much the results I want, from people using a GP7 and filters.

However, I work for part of Sony, and on paper, some of the action cameras have better specs than the GoPros, and I (often but not always) get better internal pricing. But to be honest, there seems to be almost NO underwater eco-system around the Sony products. (I brought this up on a recent trip to Sony Japan, and the response was "we don't scuba dive around here very much").

So, long story short, as a total underwater photography n00b (but experienced diver), unless I'm convinced otherwise, I think there's a GoPro in my future?

I totally expect that this would be my first, but if I become more interested, not my last underwater camera. I could easily see moving up into the A7-ish range in a few years.

2. weeksd

weeksd Barracuda

I use a Sony action camera and are very happy with. I use two big blue video lights and use the underwater mode all the time. Great color and sharp lens. The zoom I don't use as with no monitor you would not see what your shooting. To see samples of a couple of videos I shot in thailand. reefscenics.smugmug.com

FezUSA likes this.
  3. arcticat99

arcticat99 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    another great camera not a sony is a panasonic lumix dc ts7 got mine for boxing day 300 canadian good for 105 ft and took amazing pics and video

4. Mike1967

Mike1967 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Gopro hero6 black in a supersuit does everything I want, I can't compare it to anything else though.

5. tep

tep ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    What housing are you using? I was also leaning towards the GoPro due to no viewfinder/screen on the Sony. I could go on for days about all the "that's so very cool, but..." stuff that I see in Sony products :)

6. Diver below 83

Diver below 83 Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I use a Sony as100v. It came with a water proof case but it cannot be used for diving. You’ll have to buy the actual diving case which comes with the flat face plate. The standard fish eye style distorts pretty bad under water. It’s usable but not great. It did come with a bracelet viewing screen. But that doesn’t work under water unfortunately.

Attached Files:

7. runsongas

runsongas Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    the sony fdr-x3000 has theoretically better performance in low light and optical stabilization. in practice, the stabilization is pretty good in the 7 black and when it gets dim, you kinda want video lights anyways.

the lack of filter and macro lens support for the sony is the biggest problem.

for sony, the rx100 and a6xxx series are much better products due to sensor size.