Advice for a newly one-eyed diver with a prosthetic eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik 1

Registered
Reaction score
I lost an eye over the summer and have not been diving since it happened. The eye is healed but shrunken and still in place (phthisis bulbi) and I now have a prosthetic eye in the form of a scleral shield. I expect to get back to diving sooner rather than later; perhaps as soon as January when I will visit Singapore. I'm sure there must be others on the forum who have been in the same position. Any advice? One specific question I have is, do you dive with it in or with it out? Thanks.

Since everyone’s body is different I don’t think anyone here can tell you weather you should dive with your prosthesis in place or not. I would venture to say though that for comfort and ease of mind, that if you can easily remove it then taking it out and leaving it safe at home where it can’t get lost might not be a bad idea.

The only prosthetic eyes that I know of are a glass type and that doesn’t compress and there could be a fair amount of pressure your mask and that could cause discomfort. Have you tried snorkeling with it yet?

Perhaps @Duke Dive Medicine might know more. Best of luck with your questions

Thank you. It's an acrylic material, but won't compress. I've only had it a few weeks, and it's winter here (CT) so I haven't tried snorkeling or swimming with it yet. That is a good idea though.

You could also try a hotel or local swimming pool, just to quickly get an idea about mask clearing and also hygiene for affected area, as you will want to be able to clear any chlorine, or sea water out. Are there flexible gel patches that could help stop water from getting behind the acrylic eye?
On the plus side, and please don’t take my craziness for disrespect, i would hardcore be looking for, or trying to build, a miniature camera eye with blue tooth or wi-fi for recording the dives. Please don’t quote this so i can sheepishly delete it if it offensive. Wishing you the best!

I lost an eye over the summer and have not been diving since it happened. The eye is healed but shrunken and still in place (phthisis bulbi) and I now have a prosthetic eye in the form of a scleral shield. I expect to get back to diving sooner rather than later; perhaps as soon as January when I will visit Singapore. I'm sure there must be others on the forum who have been in the same position. Any advice? One specific question I have is, do you dive with it in or with it out? Thanks.

I am not a doctor so take this for what it's worth.

I'm not sure many people are in your position. I wouldn't imagine that there would be a problem with it as long as there is no air in the cavity. If I were in your position I would just go diving but try shallow dives first. Personally I would be inclined to dive with the prosthetic out -- because I have a philosophy of only taking what I NEED on a dive -- but if there is no air filled cavity involved then I don't think you would have an issue either way.

R..

Thanks for the responses. Don't think I haven't thought about the camera possibility, and no I don't find the comment at all offensive. There is one guy that has done it, although I have no idea if his was waterproof and I do know that would get very expensive very quickly. There is a local dive shop I may be able to get some pool time with and I think that may be my best option for trying it out. On balance, I'm inclined to dive without it because it's unnecessary for me (really, it only benefits the people who are looking at me) and would be expensive to replace if lost at sea.

Erik, I would echo the other posters in that air trapping would probably be the primary concern. Was they eye damage due to injury?

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you. The eye damage was the result of an infection after surgery.

This question is related to original poster, but could afffect anyone: since we can inadvertently get air in our tears ducts by equalizing too hard, has this ever been a problem when coming back up from dive? Could the op be especially at risk, given his medical issue?
This has happened to me above water, and I am concerned about difficulty that could arise during a dive.
air comes out of my tear duct when I blow my nose - WebMD Answers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom