Advice for a rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plastic 'nipples' (as someone oh so eloquently called them on another thread) or locators which you use to position the wing on the plate ... how do they work? Does one push the ridge along them all the way through the hole in the plate? Or just ensure that the thinner bit fits into the hole?

I ask because I have yet to be bale to push the ridge through the hole and am left wondering whether I am trying to do something which isn't right.
Push the rubber locator devices through up to the "shoulder" (ring? wider flangey bit?). Then grab the end from the other side of the plate and pull it around in a circle. When you pull it to one side, the opposite edge of the wide bit should pop through the hole, and then you just "walk" the rest through by pulling the end around in a circular motion.

(Does that make sense?)

It does indeed make sense.

Now I just need to implement it ... which is proving to be troublesome. Task loading already and I'm not even in the water! :11:

It does indeed make sense.

Now I just need to implement it ... which is proving to be troublesome. Task loading already and I'm not even in the water! :11:

In a couple days we will have short video posted showing how to use the rubber keepers.

You want to PUSH on the large end of the locator, that's the tank side, and wiggle the tip through the back plate.

Don't try to pull it through from the plate side.

Tobin

Clarify me the situation please: My rig has -20lbs buoyancy with tank full and to begin to sink in my dry suit with the thickest undergarment I need for example 22lbs of lead on the waist belt with this rig, thus the buoyancy of the suit is +42lbs. So do I need 42lbs wing to compensate total drysuit failure? Or could be the ditchable weight (lead on the weight belt) not taken into account?

Clarify me the situation please: My rig has -20lbs buoyancy with tank full and to begin to sink in my dry suit with the thickest undergarment I need for example 22lbs of lead on the waist belt with this rig, thus the buoyancy of the suit is +42lbs. So do I need 42lbs wing to compensate total drysuit failure? Or could be the ditchable weight (lead on the weight belt) not taken into account?

A 42lbs positive Drysuit is not common, but possible.

My first choice is not to rely on ditchable weight. Ditching weight will typically result in an uncontrolled ascent.

If you do choose to include ditchable weight as part of your contingency plan best would be ballast that can be ditched a bit at a time.

If you are single tank, NDL diving and you recognize the risk of relying on ditchable weight, it's not an unreasonable choice.

Consider also that it is unlikely that you would loose 100% of the buoyancy of your suit, even with a blown out neck seal, open zipper etc. You cannot loose MORE buoyancy that your suit starts with, but chances are you will still some trap gas in the arms etc.

Tobin

Whee! So after a looooooong week and an eternity of waiting I finally managed to get my new rig wet this weekend.

I did 8 dives in all including two [relatively] deep ones, a night dive and quite a few shore entries so I really put the gear through its paces.

It was only on the 8th dive though that I really started feeling comfortable, like I had gotten the rig to the point where it fit right. But boy was that comfortable :eyebrow:

At first I could definitely feel that it had a different feeling compared to the jacket BCD I have been using. Not good ... but different. But on the last dive ... wow! It felt as if I was barely wearing anything at all!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but now that it is finally comfortable I can start working on all of the niggly little fine tuning details. Thanks once again Tobin, I LOVE my new rig.

P.S. I have no idea how I survived without a butt d-ring before. It is so convenient!

Whee! So after a looooooong week and an eternity of waiting I finally managed to get my new rig wet this weekend.

I did 8 dives in all including two [relatively] deep ones, a night dive and quite a few shore entries so I really put the gear through its paces.

It was only on the 8th dive though that I really started feeling comfortable, like I had gotten the rig to the point where it fit right. But boy was that comfortable :eyebrow:

At first I could definitely feel that it had a different feeling compared to the jacket BCD I have been using. Not good ... but different. But on the last dive ... wow! It felt as if I was barely wearing anything at all!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but now that it is finally comfortable I can start working on all of the niggly little fine tuning details. Thanks once again Tobin, I LOVE my new rig.

P.S. I have no idea how I survived without a butt d-ring before. It is so convenient!

well, now that im going to be ordering mine this week, i'm already excited and will have to wait a few weeks to get it wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom