Advice for first destination dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morgan_5

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are heading to Cozumel in September for our first "destination dive trip". We have only ever dove in fresh water springs and off a boat in FL. Does anyone have any tips for us? We will be staying at the Secrets on Cozumel, I know that Dive house is the in house dive shop but I've read mixed reviews about them so we are looking for possibly a different shop to dive with. We have also never drift dove, which I am sort of nervous about. Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.

Drift diving takes only a little bit of getting used to, but is a lot of fun. The current is typically just enough to move you along, but not so strong that you feel out of control. My recommendations:

1. Ask the guides questions, give them the chance to give you as much advice as possible before you get in the water. Some guides tend to be very talkative, some not as much. But at least give them the opportunity to tell you want they want to tell you well in advance of the dive. Advance planning is the key to safe and enjoyable diving.

2. Some guides in Coz are very specific about a dive plan (what they want you to do during a dive, what they will do, how they will do it) and some are not. Ask questions about the dive plan: how you will enter, how you will stay together, what to do if you get separated, etc...) The more you know before you get in the water, the more you'll enjoy your dive.

3. CHECK YOUR GEAR before the boat leaves the dock. Your gear will most likely be set up for you, but you personally should still check everything as early as possible. Make sure your regulator and BCD are operating properly (breathing, inflate, holding air, deflate.) Problems are a little more challenging to handle underwater while drifting (compared to still water.)

4. Discuss your "buddy plan" with your buddy well before hitting the water. Make sure you stay together (which can be challenging when there's so many distractions...)

If you focus on the above, having fun, enjoyable and safe dives will follow.

As for dive op recommendations... you'll likely get a lot of responses from people telling you who their favorite op is. But how useful will that be, getting twenty responses telling you to use twenty different ops?

If Secrets is an all-inclusive and their dive op is Dive House and they're right there on site... just relax, enjoy your trip and use Dive House. I have no experience with them, but I've used many other ops on Coz and have never had a bad experience with any of them. All dive ops, like people in general, have good days and bad days, but the good days on Coz are the norm and the bad days are rare and random.

It would likely be a mistake to go out of your way, considering the additional hassle involved, to find another dive op just because someone somewhere suggested that you could have a better experience.

You're on vacation, take it easy, enjoy your dives.

You might want to post your question in the Cozumel-specific forum: Cozumel

There is also a ton of information already there to read through.

I, too, know nothing about the Dive House but if it is on site or connected to your resort, it may be easier to use.

As mentioned, drift dives can be a little different the first time. I would stay behind your guide so you can see what he points out to you. If you are in front of him, you will waste energy and air swimming against the flow. If this is your first ocean dive, ask the guide about hand signals for different marine life. No need to kick as you can let the current do the work for you.

Make sure you know the name of your boat. After you surface and another boat asks, you can tell them, and they can call them. Also, when you surface and do not see your boat, no worries, it is closer than you think.

Have a good trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom