Advice For First Liveaboard With Spirit Of Freedom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWanderer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello folks!

My wife and I are in our 20's and are newbies to diving. We got certified about two years ago and have 15 dives (in Cozumel). We just booked our first liveaboard dive on the Great Barrier Reef for this May, 2016 aboard the Spirit of Freedom (3 day Cod Hole trip). We've been very spoiled to have had all dives before this with our own divemasters. This is our first liveaboard. We've both been reading a lot, but still not sure what to expect. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give to two newbies trying to make the most out of their trip:

1. We're contemplating doing the PADI Advanced Open Water diver course while on the trip. The "pros" are that we'd probably be better prepared for the night dives (neither of us have done any night diving before at all) and navigation. It would also give us more one-on-one with a divemaster instead of going solo by ourselves. Do you feel doing the AOW dives on this trip is a good idea or are they likely to distract us from enjoying the beauty around us?

2. We got the equipment rental package, but will still be bringing our own: masks, dive computers, and torches. However, I am not sure if we should bring our own fins and wetsuits. Bringing additional weight is a concern as we're doing this as part of a fifteen day trip to New Zealand and Australia and have quite a bit of stuff. What are your thoughts on using the rental wetsuit and fins?

3. My wife gets cold easily and I want to make sure she has a great experience. Since we're traveling in May, would buying her a diving hood be a good idea? I understand the operator has 3mm and 5mm wetsuits on board. Is a 5mm going to be warm enough?

4. I've been reading like crazy anything I can find about this trip and boat, but please do share any experiences you may have (food, staff, boat itself, etc). We're staying in the ocean cabin.

We're getting our Enriched Air certification to dive with Nitrox in two weeks and will be taking a refresher course right before we leave.

Thank you all so much an sorry for the newbie questions!

Russ

First Liveaboard trip - what to take, what to leave behind, what to know?
packing for first liveaboard - blackbeard
Spirit of Freedom Questions (1/1) - Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - www.diveoz.com.au is the biggest and most popular Australian Scuba Diving Resource!

Hello folks!

My wife and I are in our 20's and are newbies to diving. We got certified about two years ago and have 15 dives (in Cozumel). We just booked our first liveaboard dive on the Great Barrier Reef for this May, 2016 aboard the Spirit of Freedom (3 day Cod Hole trip). We've been very spoiled to have had all dives before this with our own divemasters. This is our first liveaboard. We've both been reading a lot, but still not sure what to expect. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give to two newbies trying to make the most out of their trip

First of all -We have done four trips on SOF and you will have a great time.:

1. We're contemplating doing the PADI Advanced Open Water diver course while on the trip. The "pros" are that we'd probably be better prepared for the night dives (neither of us have done any night diving before at all) and navigation. It would also give us more one-on-one with a divemaster instead of going solo by ourselves. Do you feel doing the AOW dives on this trip is a good idea or are they likely to distract us from enjoying the beauty around us?

I would say just go an enjoy the trip. You will be able to dive with a dive master if you indicate that you wish to do so. However always good to up-skill and the instructors are awesome. Chat to them once you are onboard.

2. We got the equipment rental package, but will still be bringing our own: masks, dive computers, and torches. However, I am not sure if we should bring our own fins and wetsuits. Bringing additional weight is a concern as we're doing this as part of a fifteen day trip to New Zealand and Australia and have quite a bit of stuff. What are your thoughts on using the rental wetsuit and fins?

Their hire gear is in very good condition. I think the suits may only be 3mm though,but you could always wear a shorty over a a full suit if you were cold.

3. My wife gets cold easily and I want to make sure she has a great experience. Since we're traveling in May, would buying her a diving hood be a good idea? I understand the operator has 3mm and 5mm wetsuits on board. Is a 5mm going to be warm enough?

The water will be around 26 -28 degs, but repetitive dives may make you cold. See above re suits , but buying a hood or a a thermal rash vest/sharkskin is also a great idea. They are light and dry easily

4. I've been reading like crazy anything I can find about this trip and boat, but please do share any experiences you may have (food, staff, boat itself, etc). We're staying in the ocean cabin.

I think the ocean cabin is one of the two on the upper deck. Very nice with big picture windows, but also very rocky if it gets rough. The boat has a supply of seasickness pills but you may want to take your own.
The food is good and plentiful and staff are excellent . You will have a fantastic time. Say 'hi' to Rens and Mel from Jo and Rob :)

We're getting our Enriched Air certification to dive with Nitrox in two weeks and will be taking a refresher course right before we leave..

Great idea. Makes for longer bottom time.

Thank you all so much an sorry for the newbie questions!

Russ
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hi!

Can any one recommend any GOOD dive operators that go to the outer reef besides Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom? both are fully booked for my dates. we are interested in doing around 3 nights on an LOB. We are two people and our dates would be around november 20 to 26... flexible on those dates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom