Advice for first strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffuser1

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Olympus e-pl5 with Olympus housing pt-ep10 and I want to add a strobe. Headed to the Philippines and will also be getting a macro lens. Any recommendations? Do I need 2 strobes? Thanks

I've got an older Olympus E-PL1 (with Oly housing) and use a single Sea & Sea YS-01. I have used this for 150 dives with no problems. Also using a tray and arm from ULCS.

I use the TTL mode on the YS-01 and set the camera for Manual mode (1/160 sec at F8 to f11) and have the in camera flash set to Fill-in flash (which 'enables' TTL).

Can't speak for 2 strobes but for macro, I think a single strobe would be plenty.

Matter of opinion for macro. 2 strobes give you more flexibility and the ability to control lighting a bit better.
2 strobes cost more, weigh more, create more drag, and add to complexity.
I always dive with 2 strobes. My wife who loves macro and dislikes the size and complexity of 2 strobes absolutely will not.
When you try to take pictures of anything of size or distance one strobe just won't cut it.

Need? or Want? I use 2 strobes for macro. If you only shoot macro then you may be able to get away with just 1. If cost is no issue then buy 2 since you will find that there are times when you really would be better off with 2. Both for macro and non macro shots. Especially for non-macro shots.

Also spend a bit of time thinking about and researching your tray and arm system beforehand. They are often an afterthought, but can present a significant cost.

If you initially decide to go with a single strobe make sure you consider the tray upgrade path for a second strobe.

any specific tray/arm in mind?
smallest, lightest & most economical you can find. I buy this type of gear used.

I prefer ball & arm systems to flex arms (I have used both). Flex arms do wear out over time. Ball arm orings wear out, but can easily be replaced with something "close enough" from the faucet section of your local hardware store.

Be aware that balls are not all the same size. I am told you can mix 24mm, 25mm and 1 inch balls. Most balls are one of these 3 sizes. Mine are not. They are SEA & SEA ARM VII design with 27mm balls. BUT: my arms are very lightweight since they are made of epoxy, not metal. Make sure you get balls with orings, they grip better in the clamps.

My current favourite tray is an old SEA & SEA dual tray designed for the MotorMarine 35mm camera. It is short (10 1/2 inches wide) with the 2 ends of the tray being bent down at about a 15 degree angle. Very light, lots of threaded mounting holes. It came as a toss in part with an old camera system I bought on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom