Advice for Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a trip to Maui and the Big Island Hawaii next summer. I was wondering if anyone has advice for dive operations on both Lahaina on Maui and Kona on the Big Island.

I know wetsuit choice is subjective on how sensitive one is to cold, but my daughter will be 14, is 90 lbs or less. I have a 7/5 mm full body wetsuit for her. Does anyone think that is too thick and should I consider getting her a 3mm tropical suit?

Thank you advance.

The 2 main operators in Lahaina are Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons. Do a search on the internet and you can read about what each offer. Biggest differences are: Lahaina Divers has scheduled charters to Molokini, Lanai, W. Maui, and Molokai, whereas Extended Horizons does W. Maui and Lanai; Extended Horizons takes 12 divers whereas Lahaina Divers takes up to 24; Lahaina Divers big 46' Newton dive boats are super comfortable on an often rough crossing, Extended Horizons has a smaller aluminum boat that can be a rough ride; Lahaina Divers is very geared toward the less experienced divers, Extended Horizons has more of a mix; Lahaina Divers will put 8 divers with a guide, Extended Horizons limits it to 6 per group.....and I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. :wink:

IMO it is worth getting up early and making the 45 minute drive from the Lahaina area to Kihei to catch a charter for S. Maui and Molokini sites. Most recommended boat operators around here are Ed Robinson's, B&B, and Mike Severns (though I also recommend Makena Coast Charters).

However, if you want to save a bit of money and avoid the super early check-in (5:45am-6:15am depending on the operator), you can always do guided shore diving in S. Maui with Shaka Doug. He doesn't get rolling until 9am and you simply meet him at the site he tells you and he takes care of the rest.

In late August this year, the water temperature was only 77-78 degrees and in early July it was 75-76. If you use those temperatures as you're guide, you'll be fine. For someone 90 pounds, I would stick with the 7/5 even in the summer. She can always let a bit of water in her suit if she's warm underwater.

When will you be in the islands?

+1 for Shaka Doug for shore dives, I can't say enough about him and his bus. Give him a call, you can't go wrong!

Rule # 1 - Get A Guide And Do Shore Dives

Rule # 34 - not sure it applies here...

I was there two weeks ago, surface water was 84f, and I thought Cozumel was warm at 77f.

Current water temperatures reported by B&B are consistently 77 degrees right now, and there was a high of 79 recorded in September. Two weeks ago they reported 77-78 degrees, which is very normal for this time of year. 81 is the highest I've heard of in the past 7 years of diving Maui regularly, and according to most of the local DMs I've spoken to say this is a colder than normal year.

Brrr, glad my 5mm Merino lined suit is waiting for me when I arrive in a couple of weeks...I'm going to need it!! Might even have to break out my heat pack to help keep me warm. :D

Hawaii is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so water temperature at the top is the same as the bottom, no thermoclines.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Current plans are for Maui first week in August, and Kona either last week July or after Maui. Not sure on the Kona side yet waiting to hear Interval Internatinal n Kona availability.

Was planning at least two days diving Maui and two days in Kona with at least one night dive for Manta dive with my daughter. Was looking at possible snorkel/dive combo but might be problematic with younger kids 9 and 7 not great swimmers.

The previous times I've been we went snorkeling. I took one boat out to Molokini and remember Wind Jammer snorkel cruise on Kona. This will be first time as a diver though and really looking forward to it, especially since my daughter is my new dive buddy.

Just finished AOW cert and should have at least 40 if not close 50 dives by that time.

Appreciate all the input so far.

With your time frame, plan for 78 degree water, and you'll be covered. You'll see people diving in everything from 7mm full suits (the DMs usually) to just their swimsuits.

We were at Maui this past August. We dove full 3mm the entire time and were glad we did. The operator we used was Maui Diving in Lahania - small shop but good. We did two boat trips to Molokini - did the entire back wall and inside the crater. We saw more sharks and rays on a single dive than I have ever seen - it is a must - especially the backwall. Look at the youtube videos on Molokini Crater. Shore diving - we did Airport Beach and a couple of others - Black Rock was the best. A guide is HIGHLY recommended for shore diving - at least intiially. By the end of the week, we just grabbed some tanks and redove our favorite new sites. For your snorkel/dive - take a look at the sailing charter Alli Nui - we had a large group with some little ones (4 & 6 years). We did a two tank while all the others did the snorkel. Its not a cheap excursion but certainly first class!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom