Advice for Tall Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WantSomeScuba?

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, this is more for my own curiosity than anything else: for the taller divers of Scubaboard, what is different for you and what tips or tricks do you have for those folks up in the thinner air?

I'm 6'7", and I like to consider myself a competent diver, but I've never really done much different in regard to my height. I know a few people who have extra long backplates, and they seem to really enjoy them, but short of having a MTM drysuit and undergarment, I do everything else the exact same as most decent divers I know. I will say, my BCD hose on my Eclipse bugs the beejezus out of me, as it sits way higher on me than it does on other divers, but I would rather have it too short than long-n-dangly.

Anybody got tips, tricks, or gear that I should check out or recommend to other tall guys and gals? Should I not even take height into account and stay the course?

6'4" so not quite as tall as you, but all of my height is in my torso.
long backplates are a gift from the gods, or at least a gift from Tobin. Who funny enough is actually normal to slightly short.
Sometimes a 7' hose isn't quite enough, especially with a long pattern backplate, so a swivel helps, or slightly custom length hose
Long tanks are nice if you have to sit regularly. HP120's and LP85's are amazing

other than that, nothing else that I can think of.

Anybody got tips, tricks, or gear that I should check out or recommend to other tall guys and gals? Should I not even take height into account and stay the course?

I'm not that tall. But I'd recommend you buy stuff in bigger sizes.

6'4" so not quite as tall as you, but all of my height is in my torso.
long backplates are a gift from the gods, or at least a gift from Tobin. Who funny enough is actually normal to slightly short.
Sometimes a 7' hose isn't quite enough, especially with a long pattern backplate, so a swivel helps, or slightly custom length hose
Long tanks are nice if you have to sit regularly. HP120's and LP85's are amazing

other than that, nothing else that I can think of.

Yeah, I love me a LP85. Any advice on a specific backplate?

At 6' 3" I don't have any gear issues other than having to get my sleeves lengthened on drysuits. My big issue is the doorways on boats. I've banged my head on many occasions.

6'7".
Neoprene costs more.
Bigger/longer tanks and positioning.

Some things there is nothing to do about it.
Gear is the same except longer/bigger.
Low canopies on boats are a pain as are short ladders especially on zodiacs.

Not following diminutive DMs and divers into smaller swimthroughs since they figure they fit so everyone else will.
Everything else is pretty much the same

I'm 6'5", 255 lbs, and the one thing I have noticed is that gear manufacturer don't do a very good job sizing tall people. Although my wetsuit is supposed to fit someone my height and weight, it is very baggy around the middle. I feel as if it was designed for someone 4 inches shorter in height and 4-6 bigger around the middle. This is even more noticeable on my my BC. My LDS looked up my weight and recommended a XXL. If you check the size guide it seems about right.

size Height Weight waist
XXL 6’2-6’5 230-270 44-56

But, my waist a loose 44. At weights of 250 the manufacturers seem to expect a huge belly. At 6'5" I do have a little bioprene around the middle but not what the manufactures think. I would have been much better off with a XL and possibly a L. It would definitely keep my tank from sliding around on my back.

size Height Weight waist
L 6’0-6’2 180-210 38-50
XL 6’2-6’5 195-240 41-53

@tbone1004 much obliged for the advice. And @wildbill9, there's only so much ducking you can do before you start thinking "maybe they make something for this problem." I just casually got there today and realized I'd never really talked to anyone but my brother about tall person scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom