Advice for trip with non diver husband

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mermaidwannabe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have 3 weeks. Was thinking of starting in Bali for a few days and then moving to Manado and doing their passport to paradise with Murex. Is this too much moving around? Would safari for non diver be too boring? Any snorkel? I want easy diving but also want to see lots! There is the option to just stay in Bali. I have heard Waikatobi is really expensive for what you get. We are late 50's. Thanks for any input

Would stay in Bali with a non diver. Lots to see and do for non diving spouse. Ranges from extremely tourist oriented big city to lots of small towns in the country. Spent three weeks there with my partner and found lots to keep us occupied. Diving is easy. Get in touch with Mike Veitch of this board at UnderwaterTribe. They run diving excursions from Bali and know the area very well.

Diving elsewhere in Indonesia can be better, but less to do and see for a non diver. Some really easy diving in Bali.

My partner is a non-diver. But he snorkels and surfs. Just can't pass a dive medical.

I second the recommendation of Bali. There is plenty of topside entertainment, and there are spots that are suitable for snorkellers. Manado (Bunaken), Bangka, and Lembeh are not so good for non-divers. Bunaken has some sites that can be snorkelled, but there isn't a whole lot else to do there.

Going to mostly agree although I'd personally go insane if I was stuck in Bali for three weeks...

What are both yours and your husbands interests and expectations firstly?

Where will you be flying into....if you are flying via Singapore - I would go to N. Sulawesi and while you are diving there are some pretty cool things for your husband to do - ie - Tangkoko National Park, Tomohon and the Minehassan highlands tour, there's even war graves up there.

Diving wise - If you like Macro, Lembeh, if you like a mixed bag and aren't spooked by currents - Bangka - there are options other than Murex and while I didn't find them basic by Indo standards you're expectations will drive where you stay. If you like a luxury resort with 24/7 aircon and massages and a spa, try Gangga Island divers or Siladen Island. Bunaken may suit you also if you like walls - although it is not "just walls".

So there are options available in N.Sulawesi - but I would spend say 5 days there with DAY 6 as a travel day flying down to Bali where there is heaps to do. Some great dive safaris designed for diver/non diver groups.

If you are flying into Jakarta or DPS staying in Bali and maybe a few days out on the Gili islands or a few days at Lembongan will give you a huge range of diverse topside and diving options. Your accomodation can be a basic Losman with traditional Mandi or you can stay at a St Regis where you will never know you are in Indo until your room service turns up.

Lots to think about :)

Last edited:
Yeah... you are looking for first class service?
Try Gangga island resort, haven't had a better service, better dive boats than theirs.
Bangka is very nice for snorkelers too, you could easily couple North Sulawesi with Bali in 3 weeks.

I am not sure I would advise Lembeh for a non diver though, or only for 2-3 days, time for the non diver to take a daytrip around Tangkoko or Tomohon highlands.

Just to muddy the waters a little more... as you have 3 weeks you could look at slightly more remote locations.
What about Raja Ampat at a resort like Papua Explorer, or similar... your hubby can kayak, snorkel, go hiking in the jungle, go bird watching to see the birds of paradise, go visit local villages, relax in a hammock on your private over water balcony watching the sunset and reading a book... just a thought.

On the "safer" side of things, as discussed above, Bali is a great place to go on holiday. The diving is great and there are so many places to visit and things to do in between. I would look at spending 3-5 days in the followings places: Candidasa/ Padang Bai area; Tulamben; Permutuan area to also dive Menjangan Island; Nusa Lembongan; and then Ubud to chillax.

I agree with the above, N Sulawesi is great for diving (I've been 6 times), but I doubt it would be very good for a non-diver. Unless he is really happy to chill and do very little. Lembeh has very little to do and snorkeling is poor, Bunaken would be much better to great for snorkeling but again not much else to do topside, and same same for Bangka. Luko did mention a few topside activities that would definitely be worthwhile if you are dead keen to hit the area.

If you are super adventurous and you are there are the right time of year, you could look at making the trip to the Banda Islands. Spend some time in Ambon and then head across to the islands for diving and history.... just a thought.

Thanks for replies. You have given me lots to think about. Is April a good time of year? I read on another bali thread that's when the water gets cold? An acquaintance told me Komodo is easier to get to than Raja Amat. Is it doable from Bali? Better than Bangla? To answer questions, he is not a sit and read a book kind of guy. He likes meeting people, museums, exploring the culture, temples. Beer!

Given your description of your hubby I would honestly stick with Bali!
April is a great time of year for Bali.

Komodo is easier from Bali than RA. There are direct flights. Seen as you are there for 3 weeks you could easily tack on a few days at either Komodo Dive Resort or Scuba Junkies resort. Both are deep in Komodo and get to the dive sites much quicker than the day boats from Labuan Bajo. Hey if your hubby is adventurous and keen to do some really great snorkeling you could even consider a shorter duration live aboard (say 3-4 days). Friends (not divers) did one and and were blown away. They even got to snorkel with mantas!

RA is doable from Bali, but it will take two flights.
And Yes RA is definitely better than Bangka.

April is normally the time of year when we get the first cold water upwelling in East Bali. This year it did not happen until July.

Tulamben enjoys warm water all year round.

For your husband, you're probably better off staying in Sanur or Padang Bai than North Bali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom