Advice from instructors please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was an active DM for six years before deciding to become an instructor. I have no doubt I had an easier time in the IDC/IE - and am a better instructor - because of that time.

As mentioned above, working with lots of instructors has a huge benefit; you get to see what works, what doesn't, and really get to hone your own ideas of how YOU would do things.

I don't think you need to wait that long - it just worked out that way for me.

It is just that just the advice is so polarised.
What would YOU suggest ??

I assisted in training as a DM for a long time before becoming an instructor and I can say that working as a DM will help prepare you better to be an instructor. Becoming an AI will allow you to do more things while assisting than a DM can do but any way you look at it, assisting for a while before going on to become an instructor is valuable experience.

How long is long enough? I guess that's a matter of personality. I've always gone slowly and I never took gaining qualifications as a goal. To me the satisfaction came from helping to train divers to get the best results we could. At one point I found myself being asked to assist new instructors to help get them over their "new instructor syndrome", particularly the ones who rushed it. In essence I was being asked to help keep new instructors from doing anything stupid. That's the point at which I felt I was competent enough as a DM to take that step myself and start making my own mistakes instead of cleaning up the mistakes of others.

R..

Back
Top Bottom