Advice needed - scubapro seahawk II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mithril379

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although I've been happy with my Cressi Travelight jacket style BCD it has become too big for me. Rather than replace it with a smaller size I'd like to switch to a back inflate style and I'm considering getting the Scubapro Seahawk II. I've done some research, and it seems this BCD has a relatively huge lift capacity (50 lbs in all sizes). I live in NYC and travel to dive in tropical locations. Do single tank rec diving, and I'm usually wearing skins, at most (and rarely) a 3mm suit. That is more lift than I need, but my real concern is whether air gets trapped easily with all that extra bladder. I've read it's possible but I'm not sure if it's a real issue that should put me off this choice. I'm comfortable using any and all dump valves, and rarely use the inflator hose to dump air in my current BCD.

I'm not prepared to switch to BP/W yet (or maybe ever). I have looked at other back inflate BCDs with smaller bladders, but at the risk of sounding like I'm buying a car based on its cup holders, I really like the pockets on the seahawk. I like to stow things in pockets when possible, and this has nice big pockets.

Is anyone diving with the seahawk? Is that bladder too big for tropical limited exposure protection diving? Any issues with dumping air? I really appreciate your help.

also curious about the Seahawk 2.0!
(also can I ask you why you are not prepared for BP/W? I'm not trying to argue for or against. I'm just currently considering both types (wing bcd and BP/W) and maybe your point of view could help me with my decision)

Old thread but we just bought the Seahawk 2's and recently took a trip with them. At first I thought that the added lift was good, there if you need it. However, we have had problems with air getting trapped. It's not a big deal, we just use the rear hip dump which works well since the BC helps keep you horizontal.

Back
Top Bottom