Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love104

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am taking open water course now and need some advices.

First of all, I am not a native English speaker but have never had a problem learning something in English. So, I chose the course learning in English instead of my native language. Maybe its because of me or coincidently, the instructor was a person from my country, who was seriously lack of English. There were three other students taking this together. Two of them were from U.S. and another one was from France, who speaks English fluently.

I think, OW course, there are so many skills to learn as you enter to scuba diving world. From the beginning, we had to watch 5 videos and take quizzes. During taking quizzes, he just asked us to read the question and answer them. That was fine. The problem was that he couldn't answer any of our questions in English. I had to interpret for him. I was also beginner, so I wasn't really familiar with diving terms. So the first quiz took a very long time to finish, and ever since then no one asked any questions.

Next day, it was our pool training session. Just like yesterday, I had to interpret for him and I felt so sorry to other students. During the break time, we talked about it and decided to tell office to change the instructor. And then, the instructor still stayed with us but one of dive master student came to assist us. After that, everything started to go really smoothly.
We all were like 'thank god'!!
I was a little bit upset about it because I paid for the course to learn something not working as a interpreter!

My real upsetting part begins from here. The moment was the our 3rd dive. We were instructed to do 5m/3min safety stop while we were ascending. We all tried to do it, and three of us did it. But my buddy just ascended straight to surface. The DM stayed us, and the instructor chased my buddy to surface because she started to swim opposite way from us. Anyhow he brought her back and we all ascended to surface. Then he started to yell at my buddy like "I said you do safety stop!" Then she told him that she tried but her body was just pushed to the surface and was not able to go back down there. So she was swam to grab the reference line to go back down there. Then he was like "You already learnt!!!" "Your body blah blah!!!!!" I couldn't really hear what he was yelling about. Then she was like "what??!!" Luckily, we had a excellent DM, who managed this situation well. DM and instructor were talking about something a bit far from us and we tried to comfort our buddy she was nearly crying.

When they seemed finished their conversation, i went to the instructor and told him carefully about this situation in my language.
To summerize the conversatiom between me and him, I think he should have reinstructed her how to do safety stop or giving her a tip how to do better something like that instead of yelling at her like you already leart!!

She was already upset at herself failed to do safety stop. Then the instructor was supposed to encourage her for next trial? Or checking if she was wearing a right weight?

I'm not a professional at this, but I think the problem was she was wearing less weight because her body shaped is nearly the same as me but she is a lot taller (about 15cm) than me. We both were wearing the same amount of weight. So on a boat I asked about her weight. She is 56Kg (in her height, i think it's very skinny) I'm 45 Kg. Maybe when the gas was full, we didn't really notice about her weight, and then when it got nearly empty, she was shooting to the surface. Maybe not. It's just what I think. My knoledge on diving is very short due to his lack of English.

I already paid for my AOW course but don't wanna do with him anymore. I'm really bad at saying anything negative in person. But I feel like I shold tell about this situation to operating manager for their future students. We all are really not happy with him, so I think it's not just me.
Should I request change the instructor for my AOW?
Or should I just get a refund and go to the other shop?

Am I overthinking? Is this common situation?

Sounds like you need another instructor if they can not communicate with you. That’s an absolute non-negotiable. M

Where are you taking the course?

If you already paid, I would just ask for another instructor. If one is not available then you can ask for a refund. It sounds like he is not very patient.
Did you do a proper weight check before diving?
Many instructors can be 'agressive' but then sometimes students are 'sensitive'.
If you are not comfortable, get another instructor one way or the other.

I agree with both of the above. You're the paying customer, so they should be making you comfortable and helping you, not stressing you out. There's no need for stress like that in SCUBA.

Agree with all above. Someone dealing with the public should be able to converse clearly in the language needed. Anyone get those calls from telemarketers where you honestly can't understand half of what they're saying? How about tech. support calls about your satellite dish?

Yes, you are quite right to request a different instructor or a refund.

Sounds like you need another instructor if they can not communicate with you. That’s an absolute non-negotiable. M

Where are you taking the course?

Phuket in Thailand

I really really loved these underwater experiences so far I had (only 4 logs :p). I absolutely learn more and dive deeper, not just with this instructor...

I'll probably ask for a refund and look for an other shop tomorrow.

Phuket in Thailand

I really really loved these underwater experiences so far I had (only 4 logs :p). I absolutely learn more and dive deeper, not just with this instructor...

I'll probably ask for a refund and look for an other shop tomorrow.

I think your situation is another argument for taking your course either locally or in a location where you can be absolutely sure the instructor can fluently communicate in one’s native language.

If you already paid, I would just ask for another instructor. If one is not available then you can ask for a refund. It sounds like he is not very patient.
Did you do a proper weight check before diving?
Many instructors can be 'agressive' but then sometimes students are 'sensitive'.
If you are not comfortable, get another instructor one way or the other.

Yea agree on both agressive and sensitive. I'm sure the instructor wanted to lead the class well but it didn't go well, so he has stressed out a lot. Or I wasn't really happy from beginning so took this situation sensitively.

We did the weight check during pool session and before we desended on our first dive. He told us our weights are ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom