Advice on Date and Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tango

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking around for some time for the right family holiday which includes places we've not been to before but wish to visit and also to include diving as a main-stream activity. I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and it seems to me that if I can scope out the right date and location we can have our cake and eat it :D

The whole family is PADI qualified (me as AOW while Mrs Tango and the kids are OW qualified). The youngest in the party is 13 so we're restricting diving to 0-12 metres until he's older. I've been looking at December for a potential 10-14 day Christmas break and dive sites such as Poor Knights but don't have enough info to judge whether it's a good idea or not ... or whether there are other option to consider.

Would appreciate any thoughts on temperatures for that time of year (in and out of the water) and also re locations for diving and staying.

TIA

Tango

Sounds great. Thanks Pack Horse.

Any other ideas?

I second Packhorse's opinion! The Knights have a great diving infrastructure and some awesome sites at a range of depths. You could get multiple days of diving out there and not get bored. There's also stunning beaches on the Tutukaka Coast (amongst the best in NZ) which would be great for a family. There's a range of accomodation round Tutukaka- lots of baches (Kiwi for a holiday house), holiday parks and the Pacific Resort, which is a more upmarket option. Alternatively there are liveaboards, if you wanted to spend a few days solid on the water.

Water temp in Northland is good in December; farther south will still be nippy. There are some great sites farther North, like the Rainbow Warrior, but most will be beyond your son's depth range. Paihia could be another good option for you to stay at, though, with lots to see- and Porpoise DiveDive Bay of Islands & Rainbow Warrior does trips to reefs round the Cavelli Islands, which are lovely. They have a small boat, too, so your family would almost fill it.

Hope this is of some use.

Fantastic. Thanks Shark Girl

Re the temperatures in December what advice would you give re wetsuit etc. I've seen various opinions and they all seem to vary. would a 5mm wetsuit be sufficient? too much/too little?

Thanks in advance

Depends on how much you feel the cold. In December, expect about 18 degrees- for me, that's chilly for snorkelling in my shortie, and I'd still be in a 7mm, at least in the core, for diving. Things get a bit warmer later in January (20 degrees +). What kind of temperatures do you usually dive in, and what kind of thermal protection do you wear?

I usually wear a 5mm shorty though that's usually warmer waters (25-30 degrees) ... in saying that I'm hot blooded so tend not to have my shorty zipped up completely as I'll over-heat.

Trying to think if I've ever dove 30 degree water! :) I'd suggest 7, then, or maybe 7 in the body and 5 in the arms and legs- if you get a choice. If you're renting, you may not get much of an option.

Egypt in August 2007 and 2008 :) Was like diving in a bath!!

Cyprus last year averaged 26 degrees

Thanks again for the advice

Another good option, though a little off the beaten track, is Matai Bay.

Andre who runs A-Z Diving has a nice little apartment above his shop, and he does morning only charters for which you still get two (very reasonably priced!) dives with just your family on the boat. Finished diving at lunchtime, lunch in the vineyard (Karikari Estate - some great wine) then down to the beach for the afternoon for a snooze and a swim. It's a very relaxing place. Diving is not as good as the Poor Knights, IMHO, but still good. Only downside is the 5 hour drive from Auckland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom