Advice on how to become a better / safe diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course!
1. Mask Flood
2. Mask doff & don
3. Air share
4. Gear doff & don

I think that's pretty much it. At least that I can remember.
Could add reg recovery. But that makes 5 (out of PADI's-?-24). In my final year of assisting ('15) I did notice students getting more time just swimming around/hovering/being neutral. I think that showed good results. Not sure how much doing those 5 skills helped with overall good buoyancy in diving. Maybe a bit--certainly didn't hurt.
My guess is doing as much as possible neutrally buoyant would mostly benefit those who were not overly comfortable in water to begin with. I found as a newbie that it didn't take many dives to dial in buoyancy quite well. Not rocket science--there are subtleties like breath control, but it's basically working the inflator well.
A point may be that if you can doff & don the unit in the water column then just diving will be a breeze. I would agree with that. Guess my only point is that quite a few on SB like to say "We do all the skills neutral". There just aren't that many you can do neutral. The rest are what they are--removing & replacing belt on surface is what it is. A CESA is a CESA, etc.

Back
Top Bottom