Advice on training for my 13 year old son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stick to padi. it'll make it easier in the international travel realm for them later in life.

I dive with several BSAC divers - not one of them has any problems with their qualification being recognised in other parts of the world.

I taught my two sons how to dive before they took their class. They were 12 and 13 when they took their class and the instructor said they did great on all aspects of their certification. The youngest became a dive instructor and DSO. It seems to me you can get a PADI book or Naui and go over everything with your son and his friend. Even take them on a couple fun conservative dives. If your son and his friend have learned the basics you may find an instructor in Florida that will work with your schedule knowing the boys have learned most of the lessons and could get through the lessons quickly. Most classes are restricted because they have to be scheduled in order to get more people and a full class. You may find an instructor that will teach the coarse to just your son and his friend. That instructor can be more flexible with the time table. This idea may be old school but then I'm an old guy. Good luck. Adventure-Ocean

stick to padi. it'll make it easier in the international travel realm for them later in life.

It's a big world out there and there's a whole lot more big players than PADI. The rest of the world will be be more than happy with BSAC, CMAS, SSI, NAUI, etc. If someone really doesn't know what class of diver a BSAC Dive Leader is, any kid with a phone can google "dive certifications crossovers" and show him.

Hi, Me and my 11 year old son have just completed what you want to do. We found that the best option was to do the PADI REFFERAL. Aberdeen and the North sea is freezing and was advised not to dive due to the cold.
WE purchased the padi Ultimate Crew Pack. This contains all the books and info you will need to complete part 1 of the refferal in the UK.
We done all our confined water elements in the pool with extra sessions if required.
The dive centre will complete all the paperwork required for you to take to Florida to complete part 2 of your qualification. You will have to sit the theory side of the referral in the uk as after the confined water there is a diving test which you require to present to the dive centre in Florida.
The best advise i can give to you is get your son to read the OW manual several times over so he understands basic diving knowledge. Answer all the questions as our instructor was very thouough with us. We completed part 2 in Spain which was great. Paperwork was all completed correctly, diving was fab and we became OW qualified.
We are going to Florida this year and have booked the Epcot dive experience, are there any local diving places you could reccommend as we are staying at Tuscan Hills area.
Good luck he will love it...

MARK.

Hi, Me and my 11 year old son have just completed what you want to do. We found that the best option was to do the PADI REFFERAL. Aberdeen and the North sea is freezing and was advised not to dive due to the cold.
WE purchased the padi Ultimate Crew Pack. This contains all the books and info you will need to complete part 1 of the refferal in the UK.
We done all our confined water elements in the pool with extra sessions if required.
The dive centre will complete all the paperwork required for you to take to Florida to complete part 2 of your qualification. You will have to sit the theory side of the referral in the uk as after the confined water there is a diving test which you require to present to the dive centre in Florida.
The best advise i can give to you is get your son to read the OW manual several times over so he understands basic diving knowledge. Answer all the questions as our instructor was very thouough with us. We completed part 2 in Spain which was great. Paperwork was all completed correctly, diving was fab and we became OW qualified.
We are going to Florida this year and have booked the Epcot dive experience, are there any local diving places you could reccommend as we are staying at Tuscan Hills area.
Good luck he will love it...

MARK.

Hi Mark

Thanks for the advice so let me reciprocate

I did the Epcot dive a few years ago and found it pretty good if a little expensive.

You have a couple of options for diving out of Kissimmee. The easiest and closest is Clearwater and I would recommend you speak with Capt Rod at Welcome To Dive Clearwater! . A lot depends on the time of year you are visiting as the weather in the Gulf in the summer can mean that you have a good chance of being cancelled at short notice but for novice divers the diving is pretty easy as there is no current to deal with (there's not as much to see either in all fairness but as a place to practice new skills I found it perfect). Rod will also put a guide in the water with you. Non diving family members can spend the day on the beach until you get back at around 12.30. Clearwater is 1.5 hours drive from Kissimmee so it either means an early start (leave house at 6am) or stay the night before. If you are going to Busch Gardens(brilliant park) that would be the time to stay as you are over half way there. Capt Rod is moored in the marina opposite the main beach and there are plenty of places to stay ranging from cheap to dear

The only other choice for you is down towards West Palm Beach but it is a good 3 hour drive away. When we go to WPB we always stay a few days so its not a problem. If you are going to go that far I would stay on teh highway an extra 20 mins to go to Kevin at https://diveboyntonbeach.com/ Like I mentioned in my earlier post I would trust him with my life
There are a whole host of good dive ops in WPB itself as well but be aware it is all drift diving down that way

If you only want to do a day trip then I think Clearwater is your best bet

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom