Advice on which strobe for Ikelite housing: YS-01 or DS-51

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lezlea

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I've spent 5 hours looking up different strobes, which are good and why, and where I can get them cheaper...and I thought maybe my time would be better spent asking for advice!

I've got an Ikelite Ultra compact digital housing for my cannon camera (6243.31). It has Two 12-24 threaded mounts on the bottom of the housing and I've figured out that I can use other strobes than the Ikelite ones!?

Ideally I'd like to spend under £500 but if someone was to say I may as well spend more for something better then I could.

I'm not photographically savvy...I have my camera settings adjusted in the manual mode to suit underwater photography but I don't play with them under water. Ideally the strobe would just flash when my camera did, which I believe most do.

Ideally I'd get the Ikelite SubStobe DS-161 video lite as I'd love to get some light into my videos as well but it's just too expensive.

The Sea and Sea YS-01 strobe seems to get good reviews...and I like the fact it takes AA batteries

and the other option I'd go for is the Ikelite DS-51

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lezlea :)

The YS-01 is the better choice in this situation. If you could afford the YS-D1 even better. Not familiar with your camera but depending on it's pre-flash you may be able to shoot in TTL, with the Sea & Sea strobes. The video light in the Ike 161 is marginal and we suggest just buying a stand alone focus/video/night dive light.

Ike is great if you have a housing with an Electronic Sync Cord feature for those who want to shoot in TTL.

Last edited:
The YS-01 is not compatible with the Ikelite housing for TTL. You'd have to use the DS-51. I found out the hard way and now I'm stuck with the YS-01 and shooting slave.

While I can't tell you what kind of strobe to get, you don't have to get an Ikelite hard wired strobe. In fact, if you do get an Ikelite, you'll need to get a slave for that housing, as it lacks the hot shoe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom