Advice please: replacing power inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pardon the dust and debris on them but here are a couple photos. They're easy to remove and replace, so I took it off for a photo of the ziptie by its-self. The mouthpiece is from a snorkel, wife broke her mouthpiece on our last dive trip and she liked the way the snorkel fit into her mouth so....
View attachment 397098 View attachment 397099 View attachment 397100 View attachment 397101

My buddy last week in my Cavern course had those on his regs and one of them popped off. I would not want one of those on my inflator. Zip ties are cheap, effective and easy.

I think some of you guys need to go spend a day looking around in a good hardware store.

Use finger nail clippers to cut the end off the zip tie. That rounds it off just enough not to leave a sharp edge.

The inner tube is just to smooth the whole thing, not for the sharp edges that would be left from a careless and rushed cutting. The same is on the elbow ending of the corrugated. I use low profile zip ties because the inner tube on normal ones looks ugly. :wink:

My buddy last week in my Cavern course had those on his regs and one of them popped off. I would not want one of those on my inflator. Zip ties are cheap, effective and easy.
To each his own. I've used zip ties, and they work. I like these better, and have not had a problem. Mine have been used many times over their intended lifespan which I'm guessing is the life of the mouthpiece. When these go, I'll pull a ziptie from my SAD bag and replace it - if I haven't found a source for these.

IMG_2519.JPG Okay. Power inflator replaced… Really was very easy… Although, I had to drill out the hole in the inflator by about a Millimetre to accept the pin for the pull to dump. The wing has held air for a couple of days now so I guess it's sealed adequately.

No sealant required.

Have used very ordinary cable ties (2 of them, one each side of the little lip on the inflator, inside the hose.

Thanks all for the advice and c

... The wing has held air for a couple of days now so I guess it's sealed adequately.

Eh no - it has to whitstand a whole year or you will die :)

Glad you managed the replacement. Have a lot of nice dives.

Eh no - it has to whitstand a whole year or you will die :)

Glad you managed the replacement. Have a lot of nice dives.

Thanks @Alastor - don't ever let anyone tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit... they're lying to you!

Back
Top Bottom