Advice re: Scubapro Mk5 or Mk10 DIN conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you need now a new DIN kit...
Luckily, they are quite cheap for an original SP thing.
Next time mount the kit without the filter, then install the spring, the filter and its hex nut.

@Enraptured of the Deep
Don't panic. :) things are probably not as bad as they seem. It sounds like you torqued the filter retainer (has a 5/32 hex broach) to 250 inch pounds and sheared something off. That filter retainer takes about 30 in lbs of torque.

First get an eazy out and remove the filter retainer-it'll be trashed anyway but the rest of your DIN fitting should be ok.

Next using a 7/32 hex allen key, remove the DIN fitting.

Here's a picture so it will all make more sense.
SP DIN assy.JPG

the hex are in mm, not in crap US units

I was using a 4mm hex bit. I go both ways.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the damaged DIN conversion kit....

First get an eazy out and remove the filter retainer-it'll be trashed anyway but the rest of your DIN fitting should be ok.

Next using a 7/32 hex allen key, remove the DIN fitting.

I'll try to post a picture so it will all make more sense.

Thanks, @couv .

Ok this is what you had, the small (port plug hex size) looks like this is what you would use to install the din but

E8ACF3CF-892F-4F7C-8096-F399A4004832.jpeg

It is the filter retainer, when you remove it the filter and spring are exposed
1B77DC99-7DEA-4229-B0F7-13D6C7C9DD82.jpeg

Take the spring and filter out and you will see the big (crappy US size 6mm) that you use to tighten the din to the regulator.
CA3CA437-DA64-4DFD-9585-DEFE1705CD3B.jpeg

If the filter retainer is stripped you can drill it out or you can acknowledge the cost of this lesson is the price of the din converter, you may grip the wide shoulder area, by the O ring using whatever will grip it and unscrew it from the regulator, you can salvage at least the wheel and din threads parts and maybe the filter and spring if the center part comes loose.
36BBB71F-4163-4C25-9BEF-CB7A1BABF7C0.jpeg

....that's right Lex, make me look bad by showing 10 times more detail than me. (nice job)

....that's right Lex, make me look bad by showing 10 times more detail than me. (nice job)
Someone’s got to do it :wink:
I should have been diving but it seems the storms are only scheduled for weekends now.

Many thanks to all for the recommendations. I found a different "easy out" solution:

1. Go to a small hardware store run by a older Russian immigrant and his brawny son. Watch the blank faces as you tell them you are looking for a "bolt extractor."
2. After looking around at the thinly stocked shelves and determining that bolt extractors are nowhere to be found, show them the regulator with the DIN conversion kit stuck in place.
3. Watch them break out a large pair of locking pliers and elbow each other aside for the privilege of demonstrating their prowess. The son won.
4. Walk out with the parts separated. No charge. Easy. Out. :D

Now I have the regulator reassembled with its original yoke fitting. And I have a new DIN conversion kit on its way from Amazon. With the photos and instructions @lexvil provided, it will be an easy swap.

Now on to sorting out the IP on my freshly rebuilt Mk10!

Back
Top Bottom