Advice & Recommendations for Cozumel Dive + Relaxation Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlowBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

I am turning to the best divers on the internet for some advice for a trip I am planning with my wife for October. I am completely overwhelmed by the number of hotels and dive operations in Cozumel, so I am looking to you for your advice and recommendations.

Details:

We are planning to travel to Cozumel in early October. Total trip about 7 days. While we are in Cozumel we want to accomplish the following:

At the beginning of our trip: 3 Days of 2-Tank Boat Dives + 1 or 2 Night Dives

And then: 4 Days of Beach-Vacation. Some snorkeling, but no diving.

We are playing with a few ideas, like staying near the downtown area for the first half of our trip, and then relocating further South down the island to stay at an All-Inclusive Resort.

Dive Operations on-our-radar (in no particular order):
- Scuba Life Cozumel
- Tres Pelicanos
- Blue XT Sea
- Aldora
- Dive Paradise

Hotels we are considering for the first leg of the trip (when we will be diving) (in no particular order):
- Casa Mexicana
- Hotel Cozumel
- Scuba Club Cozumel
- Grand Park Royal Cozumel

Hotels we are considering for the second leg of the trip (in no particular order):
- Occidental Cozumel

About Us: 28/30 years old, recently married, certified July 2018. Dive experiences: Checkout Dives, NW Pa. Lake (freezing cold); GBR liveaboard September 2018; Cruise dives in CZM and ROA April 2019.

Hotel Preferences: On vacations we tend to stay at Hilton, Shangri-La, Marriott, and related large-brands. We are looking for a comfortable hotel experience. It doesn't need to be a Four Seasons, but Air BnB's make me nervous. Breakfast included is perfect for us. Hotel location near a busy area is important to us.

How you can help us: Have you taken a trip to Cozumel where you dive and relax? Can you recommend some hotels that you think we would like? What is an appropriate budget for meals in the downtown Cozumel area? Is there much to see and do in downtown Cozumel, or is it mostly walking around and shopping (i.e. what do you do after you're done diving?).

Do you have experience with the dive operations listed above? Note: I know that Blue XT Sea and Aldora are active on this forum - that is how you made it on our list and I am sure that you both run top-notch dive operations. I am curious from the members of the forum about which might be a better fit for us.

I hope I've provided more than enough information to spark a productive conversation that can help us, and hopefully help other divers who are planning a trip to Cozumel!

For the in town leg, Casa Mexicana and Aldora. Ask for Jorge or Sharief as a DM. You will do your surface interval at a beach club and get a little beach time that way. I'm not. A fan of the resorts on the South end. I'd rather stay at CM, rent a car and head to Punta Sur for a day, then wind around to Coconuts for a late lunch, then back to CM to shower, change, and hit any number of our favorite restaurants for dinner. Other than not diving, that's the perfect Cozumel day.

Budget for meals is wide open. From dollar tacos to $150 dinners with drinks and wine.90% of the restaurants will less than $20 a meal, most less than $10. Search the forum for restaurants. Christy has a list of restaurants on her website as well as casdejeffe.

Safe travels,
Jay

Here are my thoughts. Mind you, I am a beginner diver and have only been to Cozumel twice so far.

Over the last year and a half, we have stayed and dived at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum, Iberostar Cozumel, Occidental Cozumel and we're going back to the Iberostar in August.

For us, the Iberostar Cozumel has been the best overall experience, and that's why we are returning in August. From Montreal, it's a 4 hour direct flight, followed by a short shuttle minivan trip to the resort. Not too hard on the body. I have had trips in the past where we moved hotels during our stay, and we just don't like the hassle. We much rather stay at the same place for the whole duration of our trip.

The Dressel divers dive center at the Iberostar has been the best that we have had so far. The rental equipment is in very good shape (much better than the Occidental), the staff is very friendly and professional. If you have your own gear, then it probably does not matter that much to you that the Occidental's rental equipment is not perfect.

The Iberostar is the southernmost resort of the island, and as such is the closest to Palancar reef, making for the shortest "commute" by boat to the dive site. I don't get sea sick on a boat on the ocean, but some people do, so the longer the trip the higher the probability of someone becoming sick on the way. But I might be overthinking this.

The Gran Bahia Principe Tulum is a nice, modern and large resort. But the diving was not as interesting as in Cozumel.

To give you an idea, one week all included at the Iberostar will cost us under 1000$ usd per person including taxes, airfare, hotel and food. Hard to beat if you purchase the airfare, hotels and food separately. And right next to the Iberostar there is a fine restaurant by the beach named Alberto's if you ever get tired to eat at the Iberostar. You can also taks a cab to town for an evening out.

Another reason for staying at the same place for the whole trip is that you can't count on the weather cooperating for X days in a row. Sometimes the wind, the current or both are too strong, or the waves too high, and there is no diving that day. Perhaps you'll dive a day or two, then you might have to wait three days before the weather clears up and you can resume diving.

In any case, whatever your choice might be, I wish you and your wife an excellent trip.

lucky you. sounds like a fun week. if you can, i highly recommend helping with the turtle rescue while you are there. oct is a perfect time to do it. you will love it.

If you want to "beach snorkel" I found the snorkeling in front of Secrets/Sabor to be much better than snorkeling under the Iberostar pier. You can find almost everything there that you'd find on a reef. Just not as the same numbers. If you want to snorkel from a boat, Dressel at the Iberostar takes groups almost every afternoon to Columbia Shallows (at least in high season). There are many operations that do snorkeling trips and it shouldn't be too hard to find one. Perhaps a relaxing day to Chankanaab Park would fit the relax/snorkel bit.

Casa Mexicana is a great choice intown. Consider Salty Endeavors, they can pick up at the piers intown. Henry runs a great operation!

This is one of the few times I recomend an AI in Cozumel. Since you are new divers and want a beach experience I would second with what Captain Brovo said. Dressel is a good resort dive operation. You will go back to resort between dives. You can choose to do only a single dive in AM since youalways go back to resort for SI between dives because you are so close to the reefs. You are only a 10 min boat ride to the good reefs. You can do an afternoon dive also. Not locked into 3days diving than beach, you can do a 2 tank dive the 1st day, late morning and afternoon dive day 2, take a day off and do afternoon and night dive or you can dive anyday or beach anyday.
Iberostar Cozumel has beautiful grounds and better food than Occidental, Secrets...all others except Fiesta, Palace and InterContinental Presidente IMHO (never stayed Northern AI).

Beach is good but wear water shoes because it is a big rocky as you enter. Sand beach goes for miles.

And I just checked on applevacations, a week (sat to sat) at iberostar in mid oct is $2,320 for 2 including airfare, hotel and transfers to hotel from Pittsburg (not affiliated with any). Diving is extra, but nonmotorized sports are included. I used applevactions a dozen times and they are a good source for packages.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom