Advice required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andshand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi to all on the camera board.

After falling in love with diving and feeling very confident in the water i got a canon housing for my ixus 500 and all is well, now however i want to add a strobe for better shots. I am not a camera tech and am quite happy with a P&S and was wondering if i can fit something like an Ike DS51/125 or an inon 2000 onto my canon housing and if so what type of leads will i need. I have searched here and not found anything really for ixus 500 as it is getting dated so i have opened this new thread.
I will prob be sourcing my parts from ebay and i am even happy to sell my ixus and housing and buy another (newer) P&S if needs be but if i can do with the camera i have even better.
All advice and help is greatly recieved.

GO DIVING!!!!!!!

the more diving you do the more at home in the water you will be and it will benefit your photography no end.

buy yourself some good books on sea life, these will give you the habitat and behavour of the creatures you are likely to pbotograph (you are unlikley to see a congar eel on a deco stop, but you could see some jellyfish).

no matter how good your equipment, the basics are important. i know there is a Ferarri 328, but i've never driven one!

You should be able to use a fibre optic cable with your current camera and housing. Inon offers this option and I've used it with other Canon models.

If you want to add a new camera system, I would check out the Canon A series. The benefit of the A series is that you can control everything on your camera for the best possible photos in the greatest possible range of diving situations. The IXUS or SD cameras do not have manual controls, so you can't choose. With the A series you can choose to let the camera do things, or you can control as much as you like.

Definitely do as much diving as you can, too, as that is the number one factor in being able to take great shots - the better diver you are, the better your photos will be.

Have fun!!

In addition to what Alcina said, to use the Ikelite strobes you mentioned you just need the manual controller LINK.

All three of these strobes should last you should you decide to upgrade you camera down the line, but the Ike's will give you more options since you will be able to use them though a bulkhead with TTL (only on ikelite housings) or without TTL (in manual).

Thanks alcina & randini these are the exact responses i was looking for on here, coments from sylpha telling me to do more diving are not very constructive at all!! I dive when i can dive and i would love to dive most days of the week and yes i do know this would improve my underwater photography as well as all other diving skills.
Back to my original Q, i will look into your suggestions thanks again.

i can only apologise, i'm very very sorry you took offence at my well meaning advice, exactly the same which was given to me at your stage in diving and which i found very helpful. i really didn't realise that you were touchy about your inexperience. once again i apologise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom