Advice wanted on the Oly XZ-1 / PT-050 / Macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam608

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am looking for some advice on the Oly XZ-1 and PT-050…

First a bit of background as this is my first post! I am a fairly experienced snorkler / free diver who loves taking lots of photos on shallow tropical reefs and I am now looking to move up to a new camera from my current Panny TZ3 and OEM housing as I am looking for something more capable ahead of our third trip to Wakatobi, Indonesia in Dec this year. The TZ3 can take pretty good pics if I take several shots of everything but really struggles with the light if I go deeper and also struggles when I see a macro critter I want to capture, causing me to take sometimes 20-30 pics before I finally get one that comes out good enough.

My main requirement is that a new camera/housing must still be small enough to be held in one hand whilst I swim, so arms, strobes etc… are probably a no-no as is any housing that is aproaching SLR dimensions on its own. I have also ruled out any camera that doesn’t come with an OEM housing as this tends to push up the price quite considerably. Short list candidates have been the Canon G12, S95, the Oly XZ-1 and Panny TZ20. Ive ruled out anything larger than these prosumer compacts as even the Oly Pen series housings look like they will be a little too big for my liking. The TZ20 seemed to have the best macro capabilities by some considerable margin when I tested them all in a shop but I have ruled it out having read too many horror stores about poor low light image quality and also it just doesn’t feel like a proper step up from my TZ3 - just a sideways refresh.

So, the XZ-1 is my top contender at the moment as the lens and capabilities of the camera are great, plus the size and features of the housing all make it look really good and something I can grow my skills with, however I do have some significant reservation since using one (albeit only in a shop) about its macro capabilities. I couldn’t get get it to focus on anything small enough at a decent distance in macro mode and although super macro did compensate you have to be so close that I suspect the critter will have long since retreated away before I actually get close enough for the shot I wanted. Also there is the issue of super macro mode disabling the flash.

Initially this poor macro distance issue had put me off the XZ-1 but I have now gone full circle ruling out each of the other cameras and feel the XZ-1 might still be the best choice if I also buy a macro wet lens. This however presents the potential problem of how to store the lens when not in use as I don’t want to rely upon just putting it in a velco pocket in my shorts or having it dangling from my belt in a neoprene pouch. Remember I am a snorkeler and do not want to compromise my mobility / agility in the water with rig with arms/trays etc… but I am wondering if there is a way to attach a 67mm lens holder to the shoe at the top of the PT-050 whilst keeping everything small. I cannot find what attachment I would need to make say a Fatansea F67 eyegrabber connect to the PT-050 top shoe, if indeed that is actually possible?

So I have a few questions :

* Can anybody advise what I would need to attach the eyegrabber to the PT-050 top shoe and is it likely to be secure and not too bulky for snorkeling.

* Is there another way of safely storing a 67mm lens when not in use that I might have missed?

* Is a macro lens just going to be a bad idea and too much of a pfaff to keep fitting and removing as I change between small / medium sized subjects. Can you actually take "normal" pics with the Marco lens still fitted?

* Should I just ditch the macro lens idea and would I be happy with a xz-1 without given its aparent macro limitation, or am I perhaps generally barking up with wrong tree with the XZ-1 and should I really be considering a different camera?

* Any other thoughts on the subject would be most welcome...

Regards
Adam

Hmmm interesting - thanks for the reply. :)

A strobe was one of the options I had considered but I had discounted it as an Inon S2000 on a short arm seemed to be the most compact setup I could find and even that looked a little large for what I really wanted to snorkel with...

PT050_SB_Set%255B1%255D.jpg

I thought the OEM diffuser that comes with the PT-050 was designed to overcome the shadow effect in macro (not supermacro) mode? Also I had assumed that even with a wet macro lens that the min focal length in would still be 10cm meaning that the shadowing effect of the port was again minimised as you still couldnt get that close? Are these assumptions incorrect then? :idk:

IMG_12203.jpg

cheers

Hmmmm - would that still apply in 16:9 photos then? I was intending to take pics on that as my usual method of picture viewing is my 16:9 plasma TV as I dont have the time to crop the hundreds of pics I take.

Hmmm, checked the XZ-1 image sizes out on "dpreview". Seems all that 16:9 does is auto crop the top and bottom for you which is pretty pants. Probably normal for a camera but I had hoped you would gain a few more pixels in width rather than just loosing them in height!

Quote from dpreview:

Image sizes (Large)
• 3648 x 2736 (4:3)
• 3648 x 2056 (16:9)
• 3648 x 2432 (3:2)
• 2736 x 2736 (1:1)

So you are saying the xz-1 / PT-050 is a no go for good macro without a strobe??? So I would need a macro lens AND a strobe to make the XZ-1 viable? All that is adding just bulk (and cost)... :shakehead:

Do you have any pics showing the shadow effect of the port without a strobe that you could possibly post?

Thanks

I'd say that the Canon S95 in the Canon housing is probably a better choice......
Let me take a couple of shots with my Oly and I will post them for you.
I love proving myself wrong......
Macro, Manual, Flash Diffuser On......

Attachments

• P8230348.jpg
    P8230348.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 485
I'd say that the Canon S95 in the Canon housing is probably a better choice......
Let me take a couple of shots with my Oly and I will post them for you.
I love proving myself wrong......
Macro, Manual, Flash Diffuser On......

Love the lego...did you make it? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom