Advice wanted: SE Asia for 6 weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be spending 6 weeks backpacking from Singapore to Bangkok with three other friends and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to spend our time in terms of scuba diving.

We arrive in Singapore on September 5th and simply planned to travel by train and bus through Malaysia and Thailand to ultimately end up in Bangkok before our flight out to New Zealand on October 13th. We are all recent college graduates on a relatively tight budget, but we are definitely planning to take advantage of the region's premiere dive sites. We also plan to spend a good amount of time on the Thai islands off the west and east coast, but again, advice would be appreciated here, as there are many to choose from for such a short stay.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

planning to take advantage of the region's premiere dive sites
Well, I hope you can, but I am not sure there will be anything going to the Similan islands within your dates. In fact, almost certainly not. Earliest trips I know of start October 15th. You can get in plenty of local diving at the Pehrentian Islands, from Phuket, Phi Phi and also Koh Tao. Your timeframe is quite relaxed so you may have time for non diving activities too!

I should have added that we would absolutely love to dive with some big animals--whale sharks, manta rays, etc. Is this a possibility for the time of year?

Just did a 5 week SE Asia scuba backpack trip on a student budget. Can highly recommend making a quick detour to Malaysia Borneo. From KL you can catch a cheap airasia.com flight to Tawau (or to Kuta Kinabalu then on to Tawau) - and a shuttle to Sipadan. Think there is a direct flight back to KL.

The diving is quite spectacular and something not to miss, if you are in the "neighborhood" (sheer coral drop offs, lots of sharks and turtles & great vis).

There are some backpacker budget options (such as rooms for around $18US or 12 person dorms for $3US). There is also a backpacker home stay/meals on Mabul Island for about $18for a simple room - dive boats can pick you up. Feel free to email me directly if you want more details. Have fun!

Big fish encounters? It's all down to the weather. Possibly Koh Bon out of Khao Lak for manta rays, try Sanuk Divers there. We've been having a crazy time recently with whale sharks with operators from Ao Nang, Krabi and Phuket with sightings over the last month or so. Krabi can be really cheap for accommodation, one of my divers recently admitted to only paying 120 baht per night in a Krabi guesthouse.

Koh Bon sounds great, but it doesn't look like any of the diver shops do trips in September. Is there anywhere in particular where we can dive with mantas/whale sharks in September/early October?

Check out Lumba Lumba Diving Centre too over on Pulau Weh. There's been a few Mantas about recently and sharks come out when the currents are running..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom