Aeris A300 CS OLED Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HolyDiver54

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an A300 CS OLED and over time the display has gotten so dim that I can't read the information. I have put in new batteries, adjusted the brightness settings, done virtually everything that I am aware of to make it brighter, but to no avail. Thought about sending it in for service but now that Oceanic who used to support Aeris products has been sold, I would not know who to send it to. Any suggestions? Maybe it's better to just punt and buy a new dive computer that is compatible with the Aeris transmitter. Thoughts!

Oceanic has new owners, but they are still Oceanic. Call or email them.

I don't know where Once Upon A Time in The West is, but assuming it's in the U.S.:

Support » Service

I recently sent an email to Huish Outdoors about sending my Aeris A300G to them to see about getting it factory serviced, I bought it new in 2001 and it's been collecting dust for awhile....anyhow, it took about 2 weeks for a response saying they no longer service Aeris computers.

I recently sent an email to Huish Outdoors about sending my Aeris A300G to them to see about getting it factory serviced, I bought it new in 2001 and it's been collecting dust for awhile....anyhow, it took about 2 weeks for a response saying they no longer service Aeris computers.

Same reply from huish outdoors(oceanic) a few months ago regarding my AERIS AI. Aeris products No longer supported. EBay was the only place I could find replacement parts, then you're on your own. Elected to purchase a new computer, COLBALT 2. So far it's performed flawlessly,,,,

Reefman
Key largo

I have an A300 CS OLED and over time the display has gotten so dim that I can't read the information. I have put in new batteries, adjusted the brightness settings, done virtually everything that I am aware of to make it brighter, but to no avail. Thought about sending it in for service but now that Oceanic who used to support Aeris products has been sold, I would not know who to send it to. Any suggestions? Maybe it's better to just punt and buy a new dive computer that is compatible with the Aeris transmitter. Thoughts!
Did you have any luck diagnosing this fault? My Aeris A300 CS is doing the same thing making it almost impossible to use.

Buy a new computer that is compatible with your Aeris transmitter. I believe the Perdix AI is compatible.

Ron

For what it's worth, many passive matrix OLED (PMOLED) displays have shown this tendency to dim over time. Liquivision also had quite a problem with this. These displays are also limited in size and resolution.

Active Matrix OLED (AMOLED) displays such as we used in the original Atomic Cobalt 1- and as are in many smartphones now- don't have this issue, and can be much larger and higher resolution while still using little power, but they are at lot more expensive. They are also currently not really available in dive computer manufacturer type quantities. Which is why you will see larger, higher resolution color dive computers now using TFT displays.

-Ron

For what it's worth, many passive matrix OLED (PMOLED) displays have shown this tendency to dim over time. Liquivision also had quite a problem with this. These displays are also limited in size and resolution.

Active Matrix OLED (AMOLED) displays such as we used in the original Atomic Cobalt 1- and as are in many smartphones now- don't have this issue, and can be much larger and higher resolution while still using little power, but they are at lot more expensive. They are also currently not really available in dive computer manufacturer type quantities. Which is why you will see larger, higher resolution color dive computers now using TFT displays.

-Ron

Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to share that handy bit of information with us. After doing some more reading on PMOLEDs I found out that blue is also the most unstable of the OLEDs and has a significantly less lifetime when compared to red. (This is relevant in my case because there is also little to no blue light within my display any longer). Oh well, better pick myself up a new perix :)

Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to share that handy bit of information with us. After doing some more reading on PMOLEDs I found out that blue is also the most unstable of the OLEDs and has a significantly less lifetime when compared to red. (This is relevant in my case because there is also little to no blue light within my display any longer). Oh well, better pick myself up a new perix :)
Yes, it's the blue pixels that seem to be the problem in PMOLED's. Rereading what I said about AMOLED displays not being available in dive computer type quantities I realize that could be misinterpreted. The problem is that AMOLED displays are marketed to consumer electronics with buys in the 100's of thousands to millions, the manufacturers at this point don't want to deal with products like dive computers that might sell a few thousand units in a year. That could change as the production capacity matures.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom