Aeris ION vs. Atomic Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fyrdyvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to buy a new reg and I think that it is between the Aeris ION and the Atomic Z2. I have never used either of these so I thought that I would make a post to see if anyone else has used them and what they thought. Thanks for any input you may have.

Try scrolling to the bottom of this page and look at the Similar Threads.

There are a lot of posts on regulators - Which is best? Which should I buy? etc There is no right or wrong answer. "Most" regs from the major manufacturers will work just fine. Some are easier to breathe on and others are designed for cold water. There are pros and cons to each one.

Your choice should be made based on the type of diving you do, how much you have to spend and where you will have it serviced.

Have you looked into renting these regs from your LDS or trying to borrow one from a dive buddy?

Good luck and welcome to the board.

I am going to buy a new reg and I think that it is between the Aeris ION and the Atomic Z2. I have never used either of these so I thought that I would make a post to see if anyone else has used them and what they thought. Thanks for any input you may have.

The Ion is one of the best breathing regs I have ever played around with, so that would be my vote, although the Atomic is a very nice reg also.

Thanks for the advice. My LDS doesn't carry Atomic, so I would have to travel 1.5 hours to a dealer. I will probably go with the ION, I kind of like the smaller size anyway!

I'm a very happy Atomic owner (I have 5 sets of M1s, a singles set of Z2/M1, a Z1 argon reg and a few other Atomics I need to sell), I'd recommend them for the following reasons:

They are the only regs I know of with a 2 year service interval - if you rebuild your regs as the mfg. recommends, the Atomics will cost less in the long run, not to mention you will face the inconvenience of bringing them in for rebuilds only half as often. (Time is worth something too, right?) I believe the 2 year interval is largely because of the seat-saver orifice feature.

They are a simple proven design with a excellent reputation and track record. Their quality and attention to detail is excellent. I find them a pleasure to use; in the regulator shoot-offs I've seen, they consistently ranked #1 on a breathing machine.

With a LP port on the bottom of the turrent, they make for very clean and versatile hose routing.

Because, for the most part, all the regs in their line are based on the same design, they are very upgradable down the road. You could get an entry level Z2 swivel and completely convert it to an M1 with a few parts, if you get into tech diving down the road. Or you can just pick and choose a few goodies like the excellent M1 exhaust deflector, heat sink, environmental seal kit, cave ring, second stage swivel, etc...

They are pretty simple regs, easy to work on, rebuild, and adjust yourself, if you choose to go down that road. Finding parts kits will be the hardest part.

They are made in the USA, and have a lifetime warranty - NOT dependent on getting them rebuilt at regular intervals, unlike some companies.

#1 reason for choosing Atomics - the comfort mouthpieces rule! :D

Rob

I own 2 Atomic B2s, and have Atomic Z2s in my rental department. The Z2 is an awesome regulator and you would be very happy owning one.

However, the Ion is pretty sweet. The swival and size are huge selling features. It is very comfortable in your mouth and very lightweight for travel. Also, the fact that you are close to a dealer makes it easy for servicing as well.

As for breathing and performance, on a recreational dive level, I don't think you will be able to tell the difference. Both are very easy breathing regs and no matter which one you pick, you would be happy.

Fyrdyvr,

Nadco in Greensboro sells Atomic and Oceanic.

I think that if you got ahold of them they'd let you demo the Z2. I have 2- M1's, M1 octo, and the SS1. They breath so nice. My SS1 to me breathes better then most primaries on the market, IMHO. I can not say enough about Atomic reg's. They breath easy, and I didn't have the jaw fatique like I did with ScubaPro, Oceanic, and Zeagle. All of which are also good reg's.

Atomic as others have mentioned have the 2 yr service intervals with lifetime warranty. You will save in this aspect too in the long run, even if you have to drive the extra 45 minutes to Greensboro. They are well worth every nice easy breath you will ever take through them....

My vote is for Atomic, but you absolutely can't go wrong with either. It's got to be what works best for your budget, maintenance, and convenience. Oh, another thing to think about would be servicing availablity/parts while on vacation away from home, should something happen while away. I tend to not like the idea of renting life-support equipment if I can. With that being said, maybe look at ScubaPro. They are everywhere it seems and have great support world wide.

Wow! I am amazed at all of the helpful information I am finding here. Thanks to you all for your replies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom