Aeris Manta Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flottsam

New
Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone considering the Manta. I was part of an instructor course where about 15 people ended up purchasing it, including myself. Of those, I think maybe 3 still have their original. I went through 2 of them (in less than 6 months) before just giving up and buying a different brand. Error messages, dead battery warnings on brand new batteries, and depth readings of 300' while standing on dry land were all situations that occurred with them. I know it's a relatively new computer and there are sometimes the odd bug, but these as far as I could tell didn't go through any quality control testing at all and once that many are being returned, shouldn't they consider a recall? When I wrote Aeris to ask them about the situation, it took a month to get a reply which gave excuses about sick staff before telling me I should have the computer serviced. Not exactly good customer service.

Flottsam - first, let me welcome you to the board. You will no doubt hear of others that have had the odd problem with the Manta or any other computer - I am positive you will find that your post will bring very satisfied users out to post their own findings. The Manta has been one of the best selling and most durable computers that we have introduced - you're implying a return rate that simply does not exist.

I have to wonder why your first and only posts have been to slam the Manta - I guess perhaps we can expect glowing reviews of the new model you replaced it with?

The Manta has treated me well so far.

I have an XR-1 NX which I have really liked, but have been considering getting a Manta since they seem to be on sale everywhere right now and have a backlight (which I've been missing on night dives). I've seen lots of complaints about them on here, but was taking with a grain of salt and figuring you might have that problem with any computer.

I must admit though after seeing the response from the apparent Aeries marketing director here, I am now much more concerned about purchasing Aeris products. If I was the guy who posted the problems he was seeing with the Mantas, I would want Aeris to at least pretend to listen, not to pick on me.

That said though, I have never had any problems with my Aeris XR-1 NX. I also have some Aeris fins that I'm happy with. Hopefully the guy representing them here is the exception and not the rule. Let's keep it professional guys - even when we disagree, yeah?

I've been having the same problems with mine, I'm on my second one in four years and its pretty much pooched, its not even giving me the low battery message after a fresh battery anymore, it just fades away on my dive so i can't read it :( ... its sucks, its a really sharp looking computer and i like the backlight, display but think i guys should get more life out of his computer. I see a lot of suunto's that are treating like garbage and they keep on ticking for years and years, too bad all the decently priced ones are so ugly, lol

I sent my T3 back twice for this problem. Both times the service folks were very pleasant, but said tis a 1 in a million problem. Guess I should play the lottery because I had it happen twice and my buddy had the same failure, right out of the box on dive 3.

Next problem I had after repair 2 was lost link elevation errors. It would trip to an elevation dive at 1,500 feet, but not rest back to elv 1 until I went to 500 feet. Went back again, and was replaced.
Yesterday 30 minutes into the dive the link was lost and stayed lost for 15 minutes. Thank fully I’ve now stared to dive with a backup computer. Left the unit sit on shore with the computer attached to the BCD. Showing 000 psi for 10 mins. Then out of the blue it started showing pressure again. I’m waiting to hear form tech support on the latest failure.
Thinking its time to buy a UWATEC

I just bought a new Aeris Manta and after reading all of these posts (and others in other sites) I am very tempted to return it. Does anyone know if the battery issue is still a problem? This particular computer has more bad reviews than any other, all over the internet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The only issue I have had with my manta is the metal loop on the wrist band latch falling off, and I may have bent the pin.
Over a hundred dives, replaced the battery once.

Purchased in July 2010 from Divers-supply.com. Activated the dive computer (DC) from hibernation mode prior to my trip to Fiji in Oct 2010. The SONY battery was included and already inserted in the DC.
Oct 2010: After 10 dives, I noticed a low battery signal on the DC. I was puzzled because I assumed that the vendor would have provided a fresh battery and it should last for 300 dives. However, the low battery signal disappeared the next day and I ignored the problem. Dec 2010: I dived in Papua New Guinea. After a couple of dives, I noticed again a low battery signal on the DC but it disappeared the next day. This time, I decided that I should replace the battery. Out of curiosity, I checked the voltage of the battery provided and found it to be full.Apr 2011: I replaced a new battery and did 5 dives in Fiji. No problem was encountered. Jun 2011: I dived in Papua New Guinea and found that the same problem appeared. Low battery signal on the DC, disappeared the next day. Because in all these events, I was able to complete the dive despite the low battery signal, I did not consider the problem to be significant. Aug 2011: I dived in Fiji and found on 1 dive that the signals on the DC were flickering, sometimes disappearing completely. In that dive, the dive time froze at 30 mins after beginning of dive. I opened the battery compartment and found no evidence of water damage. I changed the battery and was able to complete all my dives in Fiji. However, this time there was cause for concern because the signal actually disappeared and the DC stopped recording the dive time elapsed. I decided that it should be inspected after discovering that the voltage of the second battery was also full. I plan to send the DC for an inspection. Oceanic Australia is a distributor for Aeris Manta in Australia but they told me that because the DC was purchased from the States, the warranty does not apply. Nonetheless it would be good to know what went wrong. I have also written to Divers Supply and Aeris Manta.

I realize this is a really old thread but I thought my recent experiences with the Aeris Manta might be useful to other owners or prospective owners. After years of sitting in storage after being purchased brand new, I brought along the Manta as a backup to my OC1 on a recent dive trip. The Manta produced some very odd readings, such as very high remaining bottom times when diving on Nitrox. The readings, of course, didn't match my OC1 and were obviously incorrect. I had just put a new battery in the Manta before the dive trip and after about six weeks, the battery was dead. I put a new battery in it a couple of weeks ago and when I looked at the display this morning, the low battery icon was showing and the backlight would not activate. After pushing a few buttons, the low battery battery icon disappeared and the backlight started working. So, I won't be taking the Manta on anymore dive trips since I don't trust it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom