Aeris XR1 o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat sju

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where can you buy battery compartment o-rings without having to buy the "battery replacement kit"? Are they actually some standard size?

I know I'm probably playing with fire, but if this is your first time replacing the battery you might be ok reusing. I'm on my third battery with the same o-ring in my XR1-NX. Seems like I have to replace the battery every year (even in a year with only 10 dives or so) so I expect I can keep it going a little longer. However, next time, I'm probably due. I've seen them available at scubatoys and leisurepro but most likely as part of the kit - as you said.

Actually, I guess I'm playing with fire too. I have the same issues with burning through batteries. I just can't stand the thought of being able to buy Energizers from Walmart for $4 and essentially paying an additional $10 for an o-ring. Last time I bought the kit it didn't even come with the Sony battery like it was supposed to.

When I change the battery I try to drop the computer in a pool. That's usually good enough to check the seal. I've had it leak before I got the hang of seating the battery door properly. Ear beer is good for neutralizing/drying out that battery compartment by the way.

I don't know specifically about the XR-1, but the Oceanic Veo and Aeris Atmos computers we've got in the family all use the same o-ring size -- but it's probably different than the XR-1.

I'm pretty sure almost all o-rings used in dive computers are various standard sizes. If you can't find a reference giving you the size, you can take out the existing o-ring and compare it to a chart like this:
O-ring Sizing Chart

The critical dimensions are inside diameter, outside diameter, and cross-section. They all vary by 1/64" increments, and that's easy enough to measure with a decent ruler or tape measure if you're careful.

Once you know the size, you can buy or order a bunch for pennies each.

Thanks Marek. Apparently yes, the XR-1 does take a standard o-ring so I should be able to get them locally or on line.

I didn't really figure it out. Someone PM'ed me that they're standard sizes and the XR1 takes the same ring as the Sherwood Wisdom. My LDS is a Sherwood dealer and they stock the o-rings. We just have to compare them when my battery goes dead again.

Do you make a point of using Sony batteries in your computers ?

Do you make a point of using Sony batteries in your computers ?

No. I'd been using whatever batteries were available, changing them annually; and hadn't had a problem for three or four years.

This year I had the batteries changed by ScubaToys when they did the annual service on our regs. No idea what kind of batteries they used. $10 a pop; I was lazy, and it didn't sound like much. But that was $40 for four computers. Next year I do it myself again -- I've got a large stash of o-rings.

I've done some cross-checking on line, and it looks like the XR1 takes the same battery kit as our Oceanic and Atmos computers. So the same o-ring.

The Sherwoods are made by the same manufacturer, Pelagic -- so no surprise they take the same parts.

And I've checked some old post of mine, and it looks like the o-ring is -026, not -025.

Thanks. I'd seen your old post about the 026 so that's what I was going to try. I won't be able to get into the LDS for a few days though.

Marek,

Just as an update in case someone else is interested. The correct o-ring is indeed an 026. I was able to find one at a very good local hardware for $0.60

Back
Top Bottom