Affiliation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Put.
But I think to be proficient before taking a PSD class is very important so that you can concentrate on the class being taught, rather than bouyancy, puttin gear togather, clearing ears and the skills that new divers spend their time trying to learn while they are being tought, not to sound like an elitist by any meants, something that is probably still over their heads.
I also see Cigami has updated the amount of dives. that changes my reasons for gettin on my soapbox. lol
deffinatley more comfortable than 0-24

Thats my point, very few entry level rec programs are giving the divers the skills they need to start into PSD. The advanced rec classes (advanced, rescue, specialities) are even worse IMO because at the end they tell the student he is good for XYZ diving when he has missed the basics that are needed for the higher levels in the first place.

You don't sound elitest to me. Thats something I usually get accused of on here:wink:

On the same line as Pre-PSD training we do things a bit differently. I would rather start someone out from scratch.

They get accepted to the team then have 6 months to get certified. They Pay for Their Own OW class which we set up with an instructor that knows what we are after and need. It is not a hand holding baby steps class.

Within a month or two of their basic certification be can knock the daylights out of them on the bottom and they will stay there correcting one problem after another. The better they do the harder Lane B and I attack. They just stay there putting themselves back together. The first group we did that to got POed until they thought about why we did it and how well they reacted to it. That first group didn't have a clue that we were going to do that but now they expect it.

In our last DRI class skills checkout not of one of our FNG’s looked as green as they were. In fact they looked like some very seasoned professional divers and only had around a dozen dives under their belts. The others from another department that had the same OW training at the same time but didn’t train with us looked like some new OW students on their first night.

Getting a good solid base is very important. If you start out with bad habits they’re hard to brake. When it comes to bad habits even some very good Recreational training can become a bad habit because it is so contradictory to the PSD world.

The other thing one needs to look at is the needs of the community the team is serving. A county to the south of us has a lot of narrow shallow creeks so training in deep water is not as important and those skills needed for swift water. A farming area with farm ponds, no rivers, creeks or lakes needs to train for those ponds and not deep or swift water.

We have it all including tens of thousands of septic tanks, cesspools and holding lagoons. Thankfully we don’t get many calls for them.

Get a good base to begin with. I came from a very intense diving career that was contradictory to PSD but not as much as coming from Recreational training. I didn’t have as hard a time because both styles like the KISS system unlike the gear intensive recreational world.

Gary D.

I see I've started some good and informative discussion. Let me describe our team a little better for the post. We've had a team for several years, which were made up of mostly rec divers. I've been on the team for 5 years and am very comfortable in zero viz, entanglements, and other situations. Inthe last 2 years we have pushed for more training specifically in PSD related courses. we have self studied "The Waters Edge" by Mike Berry and "Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations" by Cpl. Robert Teather. Of the surrounding agencied we have found that we have the most training and experience. We are all comforatable in the water. We are also teamed with a local dive shop so an experianced instructor is with us at all our training sessions offering suggestions and experience. The members of the team want to train with a nationally recognized PSD school to get some more training and be more reputable in the area. I have enjoyed the discussion and it seams like everyone is recommending DRI. We have training this Thursdau and I will push out team leader about the upcoming classes in February in I believe Plantation, Fl. Thanks for the input.

seams like everyone is recommending DRI.

Not me. Until I have recieved training and/or understand the procedures from ALL of the big PSD agencies I don't think a recommendation is of value. I've trained with 2 of them (the bigger ones) and have my opinions of them only. I also try not to push one agency over another on the open forum because they're all better than what you're doing right now.

Whatever you decide to do I think you're on the right track. Trying to improve your team is what's most important -- good for you!

I respect Bridgediver's opinion but will point out that training programs have changed and the "Dive Rescue 1" program offered through Dive Rescue International has been updated within the past 3 months with emphasis on "lessons learned and best practices in the public safety diving industry."

I am obviously biased towards the Dive Rescue International training (I was so impressed I bought stock in the company) but out of respect to our PSD training partners (ERDI, LGS and others) I do not bad mouth their programs and I encourage you (and others) to judge for yourselves.

I believe there is a benefit to obtaining as much training as possible. I respect the words and opinions of those who have "been around the block" and "been there, done that" and none of us are immune from learning something new.

I appreciate all who have recommended the Dive Rescue International training. The bottom line though is, GET TRAINED. We are ALL committed to diver safety and that really is the MOST important consideration. I know Bridgediver and our training partners will agree!

Regards,

Blades Robinson

To be clear, I'm not NOT recommending DRI. I personally hold it in higher regard then some of the others (not to be confused as a recommendation):D

I agree with Blades, we all speak the same language although our accents may be peculiar to some...

Good to hear about the new program, Blades. If dates and location ever line up I'd like to revisit it. I've been watching for the new book but I can't really tell if its offered on the website or not(?). Could you give me some insight into this?

I've been watching for the new book but I can't really tell if its offered on the website or not(?). Could you give me some insight into this?

Thank you for your interest!

The book is only one component of a complete "training system." It is included in the Dive Rescue International class tuition but not sold otherwise. This helps to assure diver safety (so "untrained instructors" don't try to teach public safety diving) and this policy helps to assure the integrity of our "training system."

The complete "training system" includes the *new* student manual, instruction and supervision by a trained DRI instructor (with real world PSD experience and in compliance with nationally recognized training standards), lectures (including PowerPoint presentation), pool dives (to develop new skills), open water training (to simulate real world conditions), and a final evaluation that assures retained knowledge.

Thank you in advance for understanding...

Blades

The book is only one component of a complete "training system." It is included in the Dive Rescue International class tuition but not sold otherwise. This helps to assure diver safety (so "untrained instructors" don't try to teach public safety diving) and this policy helps to assure the integrity of our "training system."

There is great wisdom in this! I've seen and heard from allot of teams that have done a hatchet job on what they read and end up with a program they describe as XYZ but it is so far removed from the intent of the methodology that it ends up being garbage OR they may omit 1 or 2 things that they might consider "small" without fully understanding their importance.

I like your approach in labelling it as a system. I hope it works out well

Hey Cigami,

Welcome to the Forum. We took a class by Mike Berry (Underwater Criminal Investigators) and I have a deep respect for him as an instructor and as a PSD. I am in Virgina, so Mike has influenced and trained many of the PSD's in our area from State PD to Fire and EMS. The Water's Edge is a great book, but if you have not taken a class with Mike, I would recommend it.

Most of my PSD training is via ERDi. We are taking our first LGS class up in NY this winter. We hope to bring Mike Berry back around sometime soon for another round of classes. I'll jump at the chance to take a DRI class.

Beyond something agency specific, the recurring theme I get in this thread is the need for PSD training by and for active PSD's. Even when you have a foundation, it is a continuous process of improving, of learning. Good to see your team on the path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom