affordable NEX 5 and 5n Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been reports that it looks like the Canon poiycarbonate housings and that it keeps the camera dry (always a good thing). Unfortunately you don't get access to all the buttons so for someone wanting to go snorkel it could be a good choice. Don't know about trays/handles for strobes though.
Bill

Thanks for your reply. I read that the movie record and play button does not work on Sony Nex 5N. All functions should work on the old Sony Nex 5. I want to know if anyone has test it diving :)

I ordered 2 of these units (short and long lens versions) from linkdelight.com to test various lens combinations and should have them within the next 2 weeks. Based upon the testing results i may take them on an 11 day diving trip to Cozumel starting March 2nd. I have asked several current case owners on various forums to provide me measurements so i can begin researching trays and wet port options but so far no one has responded :(

The NEX5N + the linkdelight housing could such an exciting low end dslr option (which is a great option considering the price to performance ratio) but honestly i fear the "setup" will have to be something we figure out on our own. Why? Because the housing is so inexpensive and without the new generation of DSLR like port and zoom options its not something local or online underwater photo dealers are uncomfortable working with. I was emailing with one such dealer and while he was very kind his shop sees this as a beach, pool or snorkeling camera and uncomfortable selling it. Just as an FYI,,, I had a housing just like this on a Olympus C5050z for 10 years and down to depths of 120ft taking beautiful pictures without ever an ounce of trouble. The setup outlasted the rebuild parts supply and is why i am shopping for a new setup..

Last edited:
I ordered 2 of these units (short and long lens versions) from linkdelight.com to test various lens combinations and should have them within the next 2 weeks. Based upon the testing results i may take them on an 11 day diving trip to Cozumel starting March 2nd. I have asked several current case owners on various forums to provide me measurements so i can begin researching trays and wet port options but so far no one has responded :(

The NEX5N + the linkdelight housing could such an exciting low end dslr option (which is a great option considering the price to performance ratio) but honestly i fear the "setup" will have to be something we figure out on our own. Why? Because the housing is so inexpensive and without the new generation of DSLR like port and zoom options its not something local or online underwater photo dealers are uncomfortable working with. I was emailing with one such dealer and while he was very kind his shop sees this as a beach, pool or snorkeling camera and uncomfortable selling it. Just as an FYI,,, I had a housing just like this on a Olympus C5050z for 10 years and down to depths of 120ft taking beautiful pictures without ever an ounce of trouble. The setup outlasted the rebuild parts supply and is why i am shopping for a new setup..

Danny,

I saw your posts on another forum with pix from your trip to Cozumel with the 5n and this housing. Like you, I'm planning on getting both cases. I'm new to underwater photog (photography in general), actually my first actual UW photog was last week at Grand Cayman and Cozumel but using a friend's Canon G9 with the canon poly UW housing. Since I'm new to this I saw this 40m underwater housing for the 5n and what I found were good reviews by you but I haven't seen any updates since 2 weeks ago.

I am asking these questions to you directly because from what I have seen so far, you have been one of the ppl that has real good experience with this housing. I'm not much into deep diving, just to where all the colorful stuff are at and I saw that you took pix with the 5n standard flash. Will that flash suffice for that depth? I'm looking into strobes/trays..can the housing accommodate a "universal tray". Was looking into the SeaLife SL961 or the Fantasea Nano Double Ray set. Again, I'm just doing this to learn with so I'm trying to limit my budget. Can it be modified somehow to use a strobe?

Thank you in advance!
-Ed

This case should would with "slave" strobes using fiber optic cables. Looks like I'll be ordering one too.

MARK!! HOLD OFF ON ORDERING!!! LOL

OK...i just found something which is the same UW Housing BUT its made for the 5n!! I just placed the order a few minutes ago and its coming from Taiwan and cost $185 instead of the $85 for the other one. I would like to get this first and and make sure that it is specifically made for the 5n with the playback and record button working. I ordered the housing for the zoom. I hope I made the right choice :/
02-1000x1000 (1).jpg03-1000x1000 (1).jpg03-1000x1000.jpg
http://www.fun-in.com.tw/oc/index.php?route=product/category&path=177_180

About the "slave" strobes...is that suppose to be connected to the cam itself via fiber optic wire?

I waited over 3 months on the pancake 50mm lens - as far as I know - is STILL backordered.
Yes for the fiber optic - this is a DIY job - assuming the housing allows for the flash to be "lifted" upright, or it will never flash.

On my Olympus SP350 I have two strobes, basic ones, only work in slave mode. Works on land too, detects a flash and will flash. Small bonus.

You velcro / stick in front of the camera's flash a small plastic holder for the fiber optic wires. It just transmits the flash to the strobes, that also have velcro points to put the wire to it. The 'flash' travels up the wire to trigger the strobes. You set the power & intensity manually.

S-TTL is the better option, where actual copper wires are going from the housing to your strobes, and the camera can tell the strobes how much power to use. Like a regular hotshoe flash. I don't think we'll ever get S-TTL with cheap housings for this camera.

MARK!! HOLD OFF ON ORDERING!!! LOL

OK...i just found something which is the same UW Housing BUT its made for the 5n!! I just placed the order a few minutes ago and its coming from Taiwan and cost $185 instead of the $85 for the other one. I would like to get this first and and make sure that it is specifically made for the 5n with the playback and record button working. I ordered the housing for the zoom. I hope I made the right choice :/
View attachment 119874View attachment 119875View attachment 119876
Sony

About the "slave" strobes...is that suppose to be connected to the cam itself via fiber optic wire?

I waited over 3 months on the pancake 50mm lens - as far as I know - is STILL backordered.
Yes for the fiber optic - this is a DIY job - assuming the housing allows for the flash to be "lifted" upright, or it will never flash.

On my Olympus SP350 I have two strobes, basic ones, only work in slave mode. Works on land too, detects a flash and will flash. Small bonus.

You velcro / stick in front of the camera's flash a small plastic holder for the fiber optic wires. It just transmits the flash to the strobes, that also have velcro points to put the wire to it. The 'flash' travels up the wire to trigger the strobes. You set the power & intensity manually.

S-TTL is the better option, where actual copper wires are going from the housing to your strobes, and the camera can tell the strobes how much power to use. Like a regular hotshoe flash. I don't think we'll ever get S-TTL with cheap housings for this camera.

Thanx for the info Mark. I need to see a DIY for what you were talking about. If you know of a link for a DIY I would greatly appreciate it. I might buy the cheaper nex-5 housing to test the DIY on. BTW, the nex-5n housing all together with shipping comes to $215 :( that's why I'm planning on messing with the cheaper housing before doing it on the housing for the 5n. No biggie tho since I have 2 5n's :wink: tee hee hee

Again, thank you very much Mark

-Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom