affordable NEX 5 and 5n Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had just purchased 2 sea and sea d1 strobes. I bought the package one (tray,arm, optic cable and mask). It is not the most lite setup but ultralight arm is too expensive for me to afford. My money just enough to buy the 2 strobe package. I have not try it underwater, but the ttl seems to be spot on out of water.
DualStrobe.jpg

I am planning to experiment with the 16mm plus wide eyes converter and the 18-55 housing. I need to but another housing, and will experiment with the old housing but unfortunately, it is out of stock from my local retailer. They seems to be very high in demand. I am not ready just yet to cut the black rubber barrel so the lens and the converter can fit inside the 18-55 barrel. Has anyone try it?

PS: If you are thinking of buying this affordable housing, I think it is best 2 buy 2 18-55 housings, than one 16mm housing and one 18-55 housing. I think you can fit the 16mm with wide angle/fisheyes converter attached.
Here is a picture of the 16mm+converter inside the barrel, I just twisted the rubber and folded to front. inside the barrel.jpg

Last edited:
Does anybody know if by using the Meike MK housing for the nex 5, can u use sony nex macro lens in the 16 and 18-55 ? Is it really working or only the 16 is ?
Can u use whatever brand of tray and arms or it has to be Meike's ?
And is there a possibility to fix an adapter to add a wide and macro lens ?
Can u really take it to 40 ?

Btw, I am using nex 5N.

Last edited:
I am planning to experiment with the 16mm plus wide eyes converter and the 18-55 housing. I need to but another housing, and will experiment with the old housing but unfortunately, it is out of stock from my local retailer. They seems to be very high in demand. I am not ready just yet to cut the black rubber barrel so the lens and the converter can fit inside the 18-55 barrel. Has anyone try it?

PS: If you are thinking of buying this affordable housing, I think it is best 2 buy 2 18-55 housings, than one 16mm housing and one 18-55 housing. I think you can fit the 16mm with wide angle/fisheyes converter attached.
Here is a picture of the 16mm+converter inside the barrel, I just twisted the rubber and folded to front. View attachment 128165

I would be interested in what you found. So the 16mm+converter does fit inside the barrel? Could you post a couple of mor pics with this set up please?

So I tried the 16mm with wide angle converter (vclecu1). It does fit in, but is actually too short. The lens is too far away from the front of the port So, you get a lot of vignetting along the sides.

So I tried the 16mm with wide angle converter (vclecu1). It does fit in, but is actually too short. The lens is too far away from the front of the port So, you get a lot of vignetting along the sides.

I've been really interested to find out whether wide angle options are possible for this housing. Can you please post more images of the lens/adapter fitting in the 18-55 housing and maybe some sample shots of how bad it vignettes? I bought the 16mm housing only as it provided me with a wider view but it seems I should have opted for the 18-55...

is there any sample pics yet with the 18-55 housing using the 16mm lens with fisheye or ultra wide convertors yet anyone ??????

It's a pity it's not possible to use the zoom in the 18-55 lens, are there any motorized lenses for this camera that would fit in the housing?

Just managed to get my hands on the 16mm housing for Nex-5. Does anyone know what to buy if I want replacement o-rings/grease for this case?

Wow...been a while!! Anywho, I finally got to use my housing early this week in DR and I was impressed. Also, now these housings can be had on Amazon.com, just type in "NEX 5n Meike" on the seach field! 18-55mm is about $130 shipped free and the 16mm is about $120.

Here are some pix taken with mine :)

DSC06697.jpg

DSC06552.jpg

DSC06568.jpg

DSC06683.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom