AGA: Natural rubber vs silicone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurDo2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all. I'm buying 6 new AGA's for the company I work for in coming week. Any opinions on natural rubber vs silicone? All comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The yellow masks are silicon, the grey are rubber and the black AGAs come in silicon or rubber. We use lots of both. Silicon lasts longer because it does not break down because of the UV like the rubber does, however the Silicon tend to be a little weaker at the attachment points for the spider strap and can rip out.

It is a preference thing, I prefer the rubber..., others prefer the Silicon. Interspiro will tell you they are the same but they do fit differently.

As far as the Guardian goes..., I notice it says "Great White North" in your profile so I assume you're a Canuck too. Just be aware that as of now there has been no cold water testing on the Guardian and no data from OTS on its cold water performance. We are holding off on even considering them until we see this kind of info.

Last edited:
I talked with someone the other day and he mentioned the same about the Gaurdian and cold water testing. I'd still probably go with the AGA though. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my way of thinking. I'm leaning toward natural rubber now. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use mostly silicone AGA's but like the other thread if you are not careful and keep pulling out instead of back you will tear the attachment points on the headpiece. We dive them year round in Michigan and have not had really any problems. During cold weather make sure your divers take the regulator apart and dry it if doing multiple dives. Also with fit, I have a narrower face and have to put some weather stripping in the skirt to have it seal well to the face, especially since our masks are positive pressure. A suggestion, if your company or national/local safety standards do not require positive pressure masks, I would go with the demand masks. If you do not get a good seal with the positive pressure mask you will be getting a lot of blow back into your hood. And essentially some waisted air. All in all though, I love diving with it. Especially with in the winter. Interspiro has made a great porduct and I agree don't fix what ain't broke.

Hello all. I'm buying 6 new AGA's for the company I work for in coming week. Any opinions on natural rubber vs silicone? All comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Silicone can be sterilized and boiled, if that matters to you.

Probably depends on what you'll be diving in. :D

Terry

Silicone can be sterilized and boiled, if that matters to you.

Probably depends on what you'll be diving in. :D

Terry

Whenever we dive contaminated, we dive hats so it's not an issue. I can't decide now.

I'm just gonna' go with whatever they give me the best deal on... lol

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom