Agency Culture (Truth in Humor?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Self taught? A dying breed, soon facing extinction, not even Al Gore can save you.....
Not me, I’m a “PADI baby” then some TDI, and DM’d for SDI instructor for time...Ancient history.

But there are people I’ve heard about that got an old copy of “The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving”, read it and did all the exercises in the book (self study), got some gear and went diving.

That’s enough to give many a lot of heartburn and sleepless nights.

okay, we got a new address (moved from original forum).... Let the real fun now begin!

FB couldn't either. You were lightly chastised for getting too much 'mileage' out of this.

Nobody but you could pull off this accurate compendium. Exactly who is going to pull the plug on YOU?

Can't be done...

Ha! Thank you. Just trying to update it for the "Don't forget this agency ..." folks.

Hey! Been a while.

If memory serves me, I'm somewhere along your PPB class. You know, endless slides shown to us in a convenience store across the street from the dive shop that denied you classroom space. I'd really like to complete that course before I die.

I really want your name on one of my C cards. Not that I have anybody to show them to. My cards are a collection of old friends and memories. I really need to finish your course. If you aren't associated with anyone at the time, your sig on a napkin would do just fine. Maybe even better...

Keep the faith.

Hey! Been a while.

If memory serves me, I'm somewhere along your PPB class. You know, endless slides shown to us in a convenience store across the street from the dive shop that denied you classroom space. I'd really like to complete that course before I die.

I really want your name on one of my C cards. Not that I have anybody to show them to. My cards are a collection of old friends and memories. I really need to finish your course. If you aren't associated with anyone at the time, your sig on a napkin would do just fine. Maybe even better...

Keep the faith.

D -

I just updated the PSAI Culture in your honor. :)

I am humbled beyond words, Dude!

-just a local diver who loves looking at stuff in my own backyard...

Edit:
I read the PSAI update. :surrender: Hysterical. I just wanna dive...

Last edited:
Not me, I’m a “PADI baby” then some TDI, and DM’d for SDI instructor for time...Ancient history.

But there are people I’ve heard about that got an old copy of “The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving”, read it and did all the exercises in the book (self study), got some gear and went diving.

That’s enough to give many a lot of heartburn and sleepless nights.
That's exactly how I did my first dives, all shallow inlet dives. No instruction at all, completely self-taught from "The New Science" and a few instruction booklets obtained from 42nd Street Scuba. This was the early/mid 60s. I was happy as a clam doing my night dives with a big Allen Light catching lobsters. Military service took me away from things for a couple of years but I eventually resumed my mostly solo diving until the shops began demanding C cards to fill your tank. This was in 1971. I was certified through NASDS after a course of instruction that lasted several weeks for a simple basic scuba card. I then began diving offshore, the graveyard of the Atlantic, and eventually moved to Jamaica for a year before returning to NJ and starting graduate school. I learned a lot from the NASDS training. It was an excellent course that expanded my abilities and knowledge considerably.

Back
Top Bottom