Aggressive Remora ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also had an encounter with some aggressive remoras at Turneffe Atoll, Belize. After we jumped in 2 remoras came up and started swimming around us as we descended. I didn't think too much of this until one of them bit me on the hand! No injury, like being bitten by a duck or some other small animal. Then it bit my daughter, again no injury. Then it bit my wife and caused quite an abrasion. Did not go through the skin, but a real injury. I attached a picture, but can send higher quality versions of more shots. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar encounter, or from any researchers studying these animals.

....well I tried to add pictures but could not get the site to take them. Clearly I am a tech fool. At least not a diving fool.

Last edited:
48182436.jpg

old dog, post a link---to pic.....tia

..snip..
I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar encounter, or from any researchers studying these animals.
..snip..

The explanation I received from a marine biologist about the original incident at the start of the thread is that probably the sucker region on the fish was damaged. As the remora would not be able to stick on to a host it would be deprived of it's usual food source (left-overs from the host, parasites on the host, feces of the host) and so would have been very hungry. This seemed a reasonable explanation as the fish was attacking anything and everything that floated past before reverting its attention to us.

We also encountered an overly aggressive remora or two out at Turneffe. The more experienced among us kind of guarded the less experienced divers but that was not that enjoyable none the less. And while I've seen small remoras before they weren't bothersome to me. These remora were relatively large. Must say I looked askance.

We met this happy looking character during a safety stop in Coz last year. He wouldn't leave us alone, but the occasional purge from our octos kept him at bay.

IMG_2512a.jpg

Negril, Jamaica. Remora was attempting to attach to either my buddy ior me. Very persistent! Hung around during theentire safety stop. This one did not try to bite though.
For some reason I've had more trouble with Negril's Remoras than any others. Snorkeling without a shirt before the sun is up too high can result in extremely painful nipple bites. They must look like a tasty parasite to the Remoras.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom