Aggressor Fleet Reputation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who else did you want to slam him? The people that are booking trips on Sun Dancer II ? People that give a **** did remark about Wayne saying the best place to ride out a catagorie 5 storm is on board a dive boat. The government was trying to get the captains to leave the boats. The passengers were down below and knew nothing of the governments pleas. What other boats were in the area?

scuba goof once bubbled...
Who else did you want to slam him? The people that are booking trips on Sun Dancer II ? People that give a **** did remark about Wayne saying the best place to ride out a catagorie 5 storm is on board a dive boat. The government was trying to get the captains to leave the boats. The passengers were down below and knew nothing of the governments pleas. What other boats were in the area?

I already stated the Aggressor boat was tied up a couple hundred yards away. It's well documented the Aggressor folks helped the survivors. In addition, there were 25-30 other vessels, including small coastal freighters and commercial fishing vessels that went to Big Creek to ride out the storm.

Everyone can boycott anyone they want but accidents happen and given the quality of some the buildings I've seen in Central and South America, I'm not sure I'd want to be in one of them any more than I'd want to be on a boat during a hurricane.

I've already stated the passengers should have been taken off when the chance still existed but the PH boat wasn't the only one that took their passengers there to ride out the storm. They just happened to be the one that had the (perhaps avoidable) accident.

I have seen no information stating these other vessels in the area still had passengers aboard. Have you? Not trying to be a smart *** anymore, if you have seen the information I would also like to see it.

scuba goof once bubbled...
I have seen no information stating these other vessels in the area still had passengers aboard. Have you? Not trying to be a smart *** anymore, if you have seen the information I would also like to see it.
Passengers no, crew yes. The other vessels were commercial vessels. You weren't aware the Aggressor boat was next to them and helped the survivors?

People that give a **** did remark about Wayne saying the best place to ride out a catagorie 5 storm is on board a dive boat.
Of course he said that due to the fact he left people on his boat.

In Sept '97 I was on the Turk and Caicos Aggressor when we got word of a hurricane moving towards the islands. We moved around a bit to minimize the chance of being in the path of the storm, but eventually it was decided that we needed to tie up and ride it out overnight. The Peter Hughes boat did the same thing and we ended tied up next to each other in a mangrove.

As it turned out, the storm shifted and we didn't even get rained out. But the similarities between the approach that we took and the approach taken in the Belize tragedy are striking.

One thing that I hope has changed, however: while we were tied up, there was no real effort to prepare for the storm other than tying down the gear, removing deck chairs. We were not instructed to wear life preservers or given any other safety instruction. Hopefully, that has now changed.

The fact is that we (the divers) treated it very casually -- we essentially had a hurricane party--no diving means more drinking. And like most divers that I know, before the Belize tragedy, I never paid any attention to the perfunctory safety instructions given at the start of a trip. But as we now know, safety isn't something to be taken lightly, even on a liveaboard.

sdwho

I have been on numerous Aggressor Fleet trips. They have always been top notch. No complaints from me. My favorite boat is the one in Turks and Caicos. The capt, Capt Piers, is the best I have ever been with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom